Lake Erie Loop Race (Charity Event) 2014 June 20-22

turnone

From the Yahoo Group page which appears to be having some issues.
Website here http://lakeerieloop.com/  (Doesn't appear updated, but entry form and fees are probably the same)

Group Description
In 2003, Bill Murar, a career firefighter/paramedic, rode over 12,000 miles on a four corners tour of the US to raise much needed cash for the Aluminum Cans for Burned Children Foundation. Many of these miles were ridden on a 1965 Sears 106SS motorcycle. This site is set up to inform people of the continuing fundraising efforts for pediatric burn victims by Bill and his wife, Joyce, a Registered Nurse. These efforts center around an annual motorcycle, moped and scooter endurance run, The Lake Erie Loop. The next Lake Erie Loop will take place the weekend of June 20-22, 2014. The ride will originate in NE Ohio, head west through Detroit, Mich. and Windsor, Ont. into Canada, east through Fort Erie and back into the US into Buffalo, NY, then back. Or, you can do it going the other way! 650 miles in a day!!! Not only can you help the burned kids by entering this ride, you can also put a few dollars in your own pocket. Read over the registration form in the files section to see how.

Money paid to 1,2 & 3 of each class except Tourist.  50/50 split of the entry fees.
From the website:http://lakeerieloop.com/rideinfo.html
The bikes will be divided into four classes;
=Unlimited 50's - if it started life as a 50cc it's eligible and vintage bikes
up to 110cc.
=125's - up to 125cc and vintage bikes up to 160cc.
=200's - up to 200cc, any Cushman style scooter with a stock based motor (no
Cushman hybrids) and vintage bikes up to 225cc.
=Moped Class. It MUST have pedals.
=Tourist class - any size, any bike. There will be no authorized competition
in this class, it's a fun run only.

A review of the event from 2008:  http://www.coffeericeandbeans.com/print/Loop.html

Some additional info:  Bikes depart at 6:00.  Sunrise is 5:53 AM.  You can go either direction around the lake.  Sunset at 9:04 PM.  That over 15 hours of daylight to get yourself 650 miles.

I will update the thread as people commit. (or get committed!)

I'm wanting to do this.  Last year it was the same weekend as OR Gap.

Only questions for me are one/two up and on what?  Aprilia RS125 2 stroke or Honda SH150i 4 stroke scooter.  Most likely on the scooter and two up with Kristi.

Anyone else out there dumb enough to join along?

1.  TurnOne (Me)

1.  TurnOne's Sammich Maker (Kristi)

I like this idea and would say "I'm in" but I've already committed to so many rides this year - wife would kill me if I went.

Based on that, I'll try to go.

Gonna have to do the Touring class though as I don't have a small enough ride to be in the competitive classes. Hope last minute registrations are cool with them.

Well shit!  I'm already out.  OMRL schedule came out today and conflicts with OMRL Beaver Run round.  This is the most fun round and points count double.  I can't miss that.  I will shoot for 2015 for the loop event.

Sorry.  I will keep this thread open to inform others.

• 3 weeks later...

Lake Erie Loop is a FANTASTIC and EXCITING event!..   I have participated in it in, and recommend this event

for those who want a great local (Cleveland) challenge!  The dedication and abilities of the participants is

amazing!  It's tough for me to admit (big bad Harley Guy), to admit defeat to a rider on a 250 2-stroke!!!!!

The cause that Bill commits to is never ending!.....  I am PROUD to contribute to this event!

And I shall continue !

• 2 weeks later...

I have that weekend off I will see how I feel after the Rushmore ride. Do you need a passport (I have one) to get back into the U.S. or have other arrangements been made?

Ok I read the entry data and a valid passport is required

Edited by HeavyDuty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious what routes are taken by bikes and scoots that can't go onto the highway.

Occasionally, I'll get the masochistic idea of taking this on with my little Vino scooter, but I never really get the nerve up to make that 625 mile mad rush at 40 mph and a refuel every 80 miles.

The route chosen is up to you!  Most,,  not all,,,   Head to Buffalo first. (I did ),, then across the

Pease Bridge, etc, etc, etc...  One thing to keep in mind,,, at the Detroit end,  you CAN NOT take

a motorcycle thru the tunnels !!!!   You must cross over into the USA by the Ambassador Bridge.. 

I had no problem getting fuel, (except for cost).

It's a very enjoyable challenge !

I hope so, haven't even seen it in person yet. I talked to the seller, seemed like a reasonable guy and it didn't cost much so it's worth the risk. Now I can't wait to get it home and start sorting it out.