Anyone do bathroom/shower tile?

turnone

I just ripped out a crappy old cheap shower from my cement basement.  It was a corner neo-angle type.  Drain pipe location  is VERY limited to the location it is now due to concrete.

I wouldn't mind a nicer shower with tile floors and walls since I'm having a hard time finding a drop in with same drain position.

Anyone do this?

I'm not looking for high end.  Hoping for some clearance tile.  Current shower is 38" x 38".  Bathroom width is 59" drywall to drywall.  Possible make the shower full width.

A built in seat would be nice.

I'm open to idea including a tub/shower combo or ?

Chris

513 317 3351 cell   

Text me

I live in Lebanon, 10 minutes North of Kings Island.  I pay in cash.

I tiled my basement shower in my old house.  My advice is don't do it.

It looked great, but it was a maintenance nightmare.  You can use the best grout, seal it over and over, and you're still going to get some mold/mildew in the grout lines.  I used some fancy swimming pool grout, meant for tile under/above the water line and still had problems.  I stopped uising that shower because I was sick of cleaning grout.

If the drain location is the problem, move it.  It's not that difficult.  Drop in an nice 48" shower stall and be done with it :)  

Edit:  http://www.johnbridge.com/articles/showers/tile-showers/

Edited by Tpoppa

Thanks for the advice.  Would this still hold true if it were cleaned every two weeks?

Not sure how moving the drain line is easy.  I'm not a fan of digging up concrete.

Thanks for the link.

Chris

I sealed the shit out of mine and still had mold/mildew.  The upkeep on a stall with smooth walls is soooo much easier than tile with hundreds of corners, edges, and grout lines.

Maybe you can order a stall with a custom drain location?? 

To move a drain you need to cut a channel with saw with a concrete blade, the chip it out with a hammer & chisel. Refill with concrete when you're done.