Putnam 5/17

oldschoolsdime92

My last novice day- I was told I could bump to intermediate. I'm not sure If I should make that jump or not...

Depends, do you want the class and structure or the freedom to ride? There should be enough coaches to get some help in intermediate. 

Considering that Nelson is somewhat of a rough track and dirt hole, would a slow(er) intermediate guy such as myself be better off going to Putnam in May, or Nelson? Putnam is farther, but it would be worth it if it is a better experience.

They're both goo tracks. I have has fewer chances to ride Putnam, so I would "prefer" that option if all other variable are equal.

Only bad thing to say about Putnam is that it sucks they don't allow camping, and I wish that wall on the front straight started later.

Otherwise it's a fun an safe track. Turn 1 is faster than you think. Run wide, or you're screwed for turn 2!

Meh the track is what you make of it. Everyone hates on Nelsons but the place is a flat out blast to ride. Either would be worth it.

^^^This !

The faster you go the smoother it is !

It is a blast to ride !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think the only thing avaialabe to purchase right now is the race license, Todd is working on a site update that will likely include opening up the schedule purchases.

Nelson or Putnam....tracktime is tracktime.  At our level, the track isn't the barrier, it is our abilities.  You can learn just as much at Nelson as you can at Putnam.  Other consideration....if you have been at Nelson a few times, you have established mental "limits" that can be pushed each time out....at a new track you will be starting from scratch.

I'm of the opinion that learning new tracks is a skill worth developing.  I am not good at it, and would certainly like to be better.

Plus I think learning to go fast at Putnam helps you go fastER at Nelson (and everywhere else).  Consciously or subconsciously, you're building skills that you can apply at other tracks.  For example, Putnam has a 'bus stop' turn where you down-shift into 2nd gear, and then accelerate out in 2nd. Hard.  One could theoretically get better at driving down the front straight at Nelson from practicing that turn lap after lap at Putnam.

That's hardly a perfect example, but it's the best I can come up with on the fly. As the name suggests, the Putnam turn is much more of a stop, turn, go scenario, whereas Nelson's is more of a sweeping exit, but you're more likely to get wheel-spin at the bus stop at Putnam, and maybe that helps you catch or control a rear spin at Nelson in the (less likely) event that happens.  Again, hardly a perfect example, but I think the gist of what I'm trying to say is clear enough that I don't sound like a complete moron.