Damn BMV

rockybalboa

Last thursday I went to the BMV to have the title for my bike transfered into my name and buy plates for it.The title swap went perfect.I payed the tax and title fee and on my way. The problem started at the liscense agency.I finally got the "can I help who ever is next" after only one short one hour wait in line.I told the lady at the counter that I wanted to register my new motorcyle.She asked me if I wanted it registered untill my birthday this year or next year. I was standing there on april 10 and my birthday is april 27 so I said until next year and asked how much it would be. She said $73.50. I asked how much is the standard fee for one year? She said $48.00! I replied I will wait until after my birthday then.Then she told me that it didn't matter that the computer showed that I had purchused the bike on the tenth and the price would remain the same it would not matter.I was baffled!I had never heard of that before and I am not a newbie to the BMV I have owned as many cars as most smaller car lots! Has anyone ever heard of this before?Was she just trying to get more money out of me? And why would she do that?

+1. I'm with Benyen. With the rampant incompetence of people these days, it's almost the luck of the draw if you get someone actually willing and able to HELP you with something. Either come back after your birthday, or go in another day when the same broad isn't working.

It's a shame and inconvenience that you have to do it that way, but... c'est la vie.

I'm no BMV expert, but I think that price she gave you was for the 2yr tag like OG was saying...because prior to your birthday you should purchase tags for the year anyways considering you will get hosed on your birthday if you get pulled over with the EXPIRED tags still showing. I'm pretty sure they do not charge you extra for getting the tags a little early, but then again I think they enjoy inconvenience at the BMV...I sure hope you don't get back dated a year for 17 days cause that's crazy talk. :drink::takeit::owned:

i went in to our bmv and asked the same question about my car cuz i dont drive it seeing that its kinda rare and i never bought the tags last year for it. my birthday is in july and the lady told me it would be sixty three i believe. so something was up there with you for sure. maybe the lady was trying to fuck ya.

and also you can purchase tags for your car like sixty days in advance of your birthday also for the upcoming year i know that for sure. that was the recommendation from the lady helping me that day on what to do

Just to clarify April 10 to april 27 both in 2008 was $25.50. for the following year until 2009 was 48.00. Added together it was $73.50.

Man the BMV is really bending you over the barrel with that one. $25 for 17 days? Tell them to blow it out their ass and roll the dice until your birthday.