Jesus had a wife?

Gump

By historical account, he probably didn't even exist. :dunno:

How do you mean?  I'm sure there were plenty of guys named Jesus who were born in that region of the world at the approximate time Jesus lived.

I'll even go so far as to say I believe this person was a great human being, who we could all model our lives after and make the world a better place. 

...why he has to be the son of god to make him a relevant example for the religious is beyond me though.  I would say the same about whether or not he was married.  What difference does it make?  Either he was a good person, or he wasn't.  Hell, even if he was completely fictional, that doesn't remove or eliminate the lesson or example.

• Upvote 1

I tend to believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed. I don't believe the immaculate-knock-up, son of god, water to wine, resurrection, etc., but I think he existed.

I also believe Joe of new York existed, but the same number of stories are correctly attributed to him.

Many early popes were son's of previous popes.

I am not catholic, nor do I understand the reason for celibacy. 

A priest or nun would tell you that the reason is that nothing should be a more important force in your life than your relationship with God.  Thats why some people choose to be celibate and why people fast or give up things during Lent.  Im not saying that I buy it either but thats what they would tell you.

As for the OP and the notion of Jesus having a wife, its a well-known although denied by the Church belief that Mary Magdoline was Jesus' wife.  One of the biggest issues that I have with the bible is that if you really study the history of it, theres a lot of stuff that the church omitted, added or just made up in order to suit their agenda.  It makes you wonder whats true and whats just the church trying to control people.

Edited by Bakemono

Answers: none, (or at least little enough to be negligible) and all of it.

Yeah, well, ya know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Edited by DAC
  • Upvote 2