Barnacle Bill Racing Leathers (Alterations Review)

Hollywood33

So I appreciate when a business does a great job in a quick time frame, so I think Barnacle Bill deserves a review here.

I shipped my new-to-me leathers off to Bill last Monday for alterations, after speaking with him by telephone the day before.  Super nice guy and we ended up just bullshitting about whatever for a while.  I bought a size 48/58 set of Alpinestars MX-1 leathers (thanks, Cox!) that fit great in the torso and shoulders, but had a little more room than I'd like in the legs and arms.  I previously wore a 46/56 Astars Carver suit that was a little tight everywhere and the arms were a touch short.  So Bill had me take some simple measurements and off they went.

Bill called me on Wednesday just to confirm the measurements and exactly what we were doing to the suit.  To my surprise, the suit showed up at my door today, exactly one week from the time I shipped them off!  That's pretty awesome in my eyes, especially coming from a busy guy at the start of race season and considering I've heard a lot of horror stories about stuff like this taking a lot longer than that (from other random vendors of various parts and gear).

Even better, this suit fits like a freakin glove!  We ended up taking out 2 inches from the length of the thighs bringing up the knees to where they're supposed to sit, 1 inch of width from the thighs snugging them up, and about an inch and a quarter of width out of the arms.  And all of this for a very reasonable price.  I finally have a suit that is comfortable but snug everywhere that it should be.  Fits like a full custom in my opinion.  So if you're in need of alterations, repairs, or a custom suit, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Barnacle Bill.

Bill is awesome. Also a great guy and beautiful and friendly wife. We stopped by a while back to hang out and chat along with dropping off some work. He also sails and does his own sail repairs, etc. I have a strong desire to sail when I get too old to ride fast so I appreciated the talk.

• Upvote 1

Everything I have ever read from Bill directly, or about him from anyone else has only reinforced that he's a good guy who does good work.

I hope I don't need his services, but these kinds of reviews are nice to read.