Anyone know of a good small engine mechanic(specifically 2 stroke golfcarts)?

madcat6183

FIL has an old ass EZGO, from like 78 or something that is totally redone and super nice, except when it get's hot or under a heavy load it bogs down.

Seems like it's something to do with the carb but Eagle in Lancaster won't look at it as they said they doubted they could get parts for it.  I don't really think I want to mess with it due to if I break it, I'll feel like shit, but he'd prefer to get it fixed or have someone tell him it can't be fixed, before buying a new one.

Not sure why when gassers from Heath are like 1350.00 but I think because he's redone it twice now from the frame up, and it ran like a top beginning of last year then got all moody and shit at the end.  

I wanted to see if anyone has a local guy around CW or Lancaster that is really good with 2 stroke engines as this is a full go 2 stroke, not converted to oil tank mixing.  

If not, I'll be forced to get a case of beer and spend a weekend ripping into this thing and probably break it for good.  FWIW he is pretty handy and has tried adjusting stuff, checking for blockage, and run cleaner through it.  It's totally random and I am wondering if the float is just totally bad.

Definitely take some info if anyone has any.

Oh and if it is toast, I'll post it up so someone can add a GSXR or snowmobile engine to it.  Or maybe I'll post my current cart up and just start a new project at the new house.  FML don't let me do that.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it's lean. Something a lot of people don't understand is air/fuel ratios in 2 strokes. People think it's good for the bike to run more oil in the pre mix. Conventional thinking tells you that it's a good idea to run more oil in your gas because more oil = better. But more oil = less fuel to air, = lean, = hot = worse.

If everything is stock and clean and you're running the recommended oil:gas ratio and you're still having issues I'd look for air leaks into the motor. A leak - down test can confirm that. My prescription is:

Get fully stock

carb clean

Compression test

Leak down test

if I were closer I'd do it for ya.

Thanks guys, I will let him know to check that first, that is kind of the worry is that we won't be able to find any gaskets to seal things up.  Guess we could just make our own with gasket maker, but man I hate doing that.

Casper, will do, I am guessing I'll end up doing that for him at some point.  Little guy could bring over some toys and have a hay day in his yard there too, plenty of room to ride around.

In also. It's probably fucked if Chumley can't fix it.

Yeah that was kinda my thinking too.

Actually I do have a chore for us some weekend, he wants me to tear into his carhauler and fix it up.  The wiring is setup for a semi plug for his old Ford Dually, which he doesn't use and isn't right for my truck, so we need to fix that.  Will probably require 10-12 beers each. 

Once we get that done the jack needs some work, needs true heavy weight jack oil or whatever added and a new cap for the fill hole.  Probably be a 6 pack for that.

He then said if I want to redeck it and clean it up it's mine to use anytime I want and keep.  Obviously I take it whenver I want now anyways, but would prefer to get it legal with lights at least and a jack that works 100% of the time.  We can worry about new decking and paint later.

I know MaxPower has asked to borrow it but I was out of town the weekend your daughters car broke down so I couldn't help.  However, I know he wants to get it working right so I can assist with peoples needs instead of having to call a tow truck.  Plus it's a super nice rig if he ever did decide to sell, would be setup.

Does it have a choke?  Does it run OK with the choke on or partially on?

It seems like this does help for a little until it warms up, then starts doing it even with the choke 1/2 out.  I tried that too.

Yeah, it's an olllld golf cart, but he restored it all a few years ago for the 2nd time.  He's super handy so the fact he can't get it working isn't good.

I'm going to work on an old one here very soon. Their carbs are goofy. I'll let you know what motor type exactly and see if I see any weird common problems with it. I'd be surprised if you can't internet a head gasket for it.