Cracked frame on my SV

mango_sv

Suzuki gave a big FU. Didn't even wanna see it. I'll be fixing it this winter. Can't wait to rip a Suzuki rep ass at MotoGP in 2 weeks.

Stand in line behind Honda, Yamaha and maybe Ducati. They all are looking for their time to rip Suzuki a new one...on the track.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Another update. Brother text me from the race shop welding up the SV. They said under the pits in the bottom of the weld there were big air bubbles and that the weld was off center of the 2 pieces of frame. Pathatic Suzuki.

Edited by mango_sv

If it was the steering head, I would blame myself and the fork seals were blown, I'd blame myself. If it was the rear subframe, I'd blame my luggage. When it the middle off the frame, just above the swing arm mount, where it welds to the trellis of the frame, and you can see the pits on the bottom, it's a Suzuki problem.

Sound like it wasn't set right in the welding jig?

That's what I'm thinking. Just sad the Quality didn't catch it and Suzuki blew it off. Until now.... they finally responded on Twitter after I posted all the pictures. Edited by mango_sv

I've got a cracked cross member on my Triumph that's aluminum. I've been looking for someone in or around the Dayton area to help. It's only 3 inches long and a super accessible place.

It could still need to be stripped down for proper heat treating.

What a bunch of derps. :(

It really saddens me. I had every intention to buy an SM400. But then had to by the FZ-09 cuz of the crack. I don't regret that purchase, but I could have been rocking two Zukis. Now I will never own one again. And I frigging love the SV/TL and SM.

Edit: sorry the shitty spelling. I'm a few beers deep.

Edited by mango_sv

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/cracking-down-on-weld-cracks

Sometimes you can have the best looking bead in the world but just like an Olympic gymnast you need to stick the finish. In all reality that is a bad weld because of a lousy finish. A crater was left at the end of the bead which should have been filled. The crater is prolly where the crack started. Other factors could be

involved as well but the crater gave the crack a place to start. This should be reported to the http://www.nhtsa.gov/. That is how a recall can be implemented.

It really saddens me. I had every intention to buy an SM400. But then had to by the FZ-09 cuz of the crack. I don't regret that purchase, but I could have been rocking two Zukis. Now I will never own one again. And I frigging love the SV/TL and SM.

Edit: sorry the shitty spelling. I'm a few beers deep.

No more Suzuki's ever again huh, well that is a pretty obtuse statement to make. Numerous issues have been had from every manufacturer across practically any model, hell the Goldwings were known for frame cracks but yet the SV;s are not. ;) Its a damn motorcycle, shit happens and we just try to get it fixed or move on....seems you have moved on. Best of luck with your new scoot, the FZ-09 is a sweet machine.

• Upvote 1

No more Suzuki's ever again huh, well that is a pretty obtuse statement to make. Numerous issues have been had from every manufacturer across practically any model, hell the Goldwings were known for frame cracks but yet the SV;s are not. ;) Its a damn motorcycle, shit happens and we just try to get it fixed or move on....seems you have moved on. Best of luck with your new scoot, the FZ-09 is a sweet machine.

I know every brand has problems and things that go wrong. It's the way they treated the situation. To directly tell me that they don't even want to see the bike speaks loads on thier care for the customer. Kinda like them letting all those GSXRs ride around for 7 yrs with shitty machined front brake master cylinders.

Edit: and when I say, "Never own one again." I mean as in won't be buying a new bike and giving Suzuki my cash. I'd love a TLS for a track machine.

Edited by mango_sv

Yeah I hear ya, sad thing is that few of the manufacturers give a shit anyways. Triumph from what I hear is very very good to deal with concerning any issues, but any of the big Japanese 4 are not known for their stellar "after the sale" personal attention to issues.

• Upvote 1