Cracked frame on my SV

mango_sv

So last night I decided after work I would change my chain and sprockets and found a shitty surprise. Left side spar where it welds to the cast swing arm mount is cracked straight thru the weld. I've owned this bike since new, never down, never dropped. WTF?Posted Image

Posted Image

So now I'm at a loss. In a month I'm supposed to leave for TN on it.

That's not pretty!  Interesting that there was a run of Yamaha FZ1's from the same era--'07 thru '09-ish--that had aluminum frame weld issues.  The dealers were getting authorization from Yamaha to replace the frames back then, but presume an out-of-warranty issue nearly 7 years after the build date would present a problem.  Sorry to hear of your problems and good luck with the repairs!!!

Worst case, a frame swap isn't tough.  I did it on my 00 and took my time and it was only a couple days.  Hardest part was removing the engine, which you lay the frame on its side and undo the bolts.  Slide the frame away and bring in the new one.  Then prop the whole assembly back upright and reassemble.  You will need some special tools for removing the swingarm and engine.  I think guys on the SV forum rent them, or if you know anyone with a mill and broaching tool you can do as I did and make them yourself.

Tank, fork, subframe, swingarm, frame, engine, wheels, and some hardware.  That's about all it came down to before changing the frame.  Take pictures of any wire routings and junctions before disassembling so you have a reference.  It's also a good time to change your fork oil since the whole front will be off.

• 3 months later...