Cracked frame on my SV

mango_sv

If the weld was full of porosity (the air bubbles your welder friend saw) then the crater at the end of the bead wouldn't matter. Porous welds are the result of either impurities in or on the metal or an issue with the shielding gas protecting the arc as the bead is laid in. Gas cups get full of spatter and this impedes the flow of shield gas. Robotic welders do have a reamer that cleans the cups periodically and sprays them with anti-spatter but maybe suzuki was stretching the duty cycle. I used to program and trouble shoot robotic welding cells and it's a bitch. Even state of the art equipment will fuck up once in a while. If there's no porosity showing at the surface and just a little indent where the bead ended then QC likely didn't see any reason why it shouldn't pass.

I find his position reasonable. If they had looked at the frame, at least... They didn't even try to see if they could help. They told him to get fucked. So, it's only polite to return the favor.

Yep, to say that you don't wanna look at a potential safety issue says alot about the company.

If the weld was full of porosity (the air bubbles your welder friend saw) then the crater at the end of the bead wouldn't matter. Porous welds are the result of either impurities in or on the metal or an issue with the shielding gas protecting the arc as the bead is laid in. Gas cups get full of spatter and this impedes the flow of shield gas. Robotic welders do have a reamer that cleans the cups periodically and sprays them with anti-spatter but maybe suzuki was stretching the duty cycle. I used to program and trouble shoot robotic welding cells and it's a bitch. Even state of the art equipment will fuck up once in a while. If there's no porosity showing at the surface and just a little indent where the bead ended then QC likely didn't see any reason why it shouldn't pass.

Pretty much this. And i know those programming robotic welder woes.