I think I bought a lemon

Ryan_c_F

I have never tried that, but I have two 3' screw drivers that go largely un-used.  Let me know if I need to bring one to work for you to borrow.  Can arrange to drop it off after work, or you can pick it up during the day or something. 

I think I have a couple items that'll work.

I think I got a fairly good recording of it. Sounds like it's coming from behind the engine case. I could hear it most clearly on the left side, down behind the bike along the center line. Chuffing along maybe 8 beats per second...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cSpjezwews

PS -- loud.

Edited by Ryan_c_F

I'm going to put 5 bucks on it and say your X up valve is worn out and its rattling.

At 20k? Not questioning your judgment...just seems pretyI soon for that. do hope you are right.

At 20k? Not questioning your judgment...just seems pretyI soon for that. do hope you are right.

Very common. I chased a rattle on my bike for 3 years, had 26k on it when I got it. Exup valve ended up being the offender. They have some junk bushings in them, and wear out rather quickly.

www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105075

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Very common. I chased a rattle on my bike for 3 years, had 26k on it when I got it. Exup valve ended up being the offender. They have some junk bushings in them, and wear out rather quickly.

www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105075

And you know what, that fucking thing is located:

down behind the [engine] along the center line
next to where the exhaust headers join the pipe.

In looking into the descriptions of the noise, I don't think it'd be that, though.

Most common thing I'm seeing is a rattling noise described. This isn't a rattle so much as a tapping noise, about once per rev, very regular and it changes with the engine revs. Unless it was the exhaust pulse knocking the EXUP plate in its mount I doubt it's the EXUP.

Its easy to disassemble, just pull it apart and see if its sloppy. Your not out anything by trying. When chasing something like this I like to start by using the KISS method. 

Keep

It

Stupid

Simple

As others have said it runs. It isn't running bad. Try not to jump to worst case scenario right away. 

The noise I think I hear in your video, I'm 90% sure is your exup valve. Thats why so many people remove them. They can't stand the noise.