Grand Prix Karting Tonight!

Hollywood33

I think karting will be a twice a year thing for me :(

between the distance and the costs (not a slam on GP Karting - I know they have to maintain their equipment, pay their bills, AND turn a profit), it's just not something I can commit to every weekend right now.  In the future, I'd like to look at a league that races twice a month.

We had a freakin blast last night and ended up doing 5 sessions, which is not that cheap, haha. It was a member night and they had both tracks connected to form the "super track." So basically the track we ran back in January plus a newer one in the back if the building. The front section, the one we ran months ago, has been ground down and prepared and it is super grippy now and you can haul ass around there. The back section is really slippery like you remember. But its pretty damn fun to try to negotiate both of those surfaces in one lap.

The gpk guys were really cool, and they stayed open til 11 because there were a bunch of guys still wanting to race. Just wish it was a tad cheaper.

Just wish it was a tad cheaper.

Indoor karting is tough to make cheap.  Gotta pay the rent, and cover the cost of the karts.  That's before paying any employees. 

I'd be curious to know how much money actually went into their pockets last night, and then compare that to the operating expenses.   I really hope they get a lot of business, and it's wildly successful.

Definitely. If you think about paying for all the corner workers/employees, karts, gas, maintenance, building lease, INSURANCE, equipment, etc. You realize why it costs what it does. But the fact remains that it costs almost as much as a motorcycle track day at Nelson (minus tires and all the other stuff you have to supply). I still think its worth it though. It's so freakin fun.

Indoor karting is tough to make cheap. Gotta pay the rent, and cover the cost of the karts. That's before paying any employees.

I'd be curious to know how much money actually went into their pockets last night, and then compare that to the operating expenses. I really hope they get a lot of business, and it's wildly successful.

Agreed. It's definitely a blast.