Need help! Ktm 450

Beegreenstrings

Not if you like to ride more than wrench, of course there are those that I am sure will disagree with my assessment. Most KTM's are bad ass when they run, but the nightmares of repairs and breakdowns that I read about, scares me off from likely ever owning one.

Edited by Pokey

KTM 450 what? (ie what the letters afterwards, XC, etc) Also, what year? KTM used the RFS (racing four stroke) motor up until 2007 and those things we bullet proof. As mentioned, the KTM's generally require more frequent maintenance (oil and valve checks) but they are crazy good dual sports.

Not if you like to ride more than wrench, of course there are those that I am sure will disagree with my assessment. Most KTM's are bad ass when they run, but the nightmares of repairs and breakdowns that I read about, scares me off from likely ever owning one.

Not even close to a correct assesment of the newer generation KTMs.  Post 2006-2007, they are solid and do not have the issues that plagued them before.

As for the 450, there are several versions and simply saying a 450, doesn't give us an idea of what it is.  You mentioned dual sport/enduro.  That would be an XCF or XCF-W version.  An SXF version will not make a great dual sport/enduro to some.  The XCF is essentially the same as an SXF version but with different suspension and tank.  The XCF-W has a different internal gearing and suspension also.  Enduro, think XCF-W.  GNCC, think XCF or even SXF if you are really good. 

Also depends on the year.  The newest 450 versions post 2011 are the ones you want.  The pre dated ones are a tad heavier and less power.  But, very solid and VERY dependable.  I had three 450s through the period of being with KTM and I can say with complete honesty that they are definately the best off road machine you can buy.  As for the SX/MX versions, if you buy the newest generation 450 SXF, it is arguably the top choice for that application as well.  Prior to 2011, they were a little bit behind, but had the strongest motors.  Just lacked the ability until they introduced the linkage...