Clip-type Masterlinks.

Mc_spirited

Most only use rivet type links. I understand why. On my 250 I have a clip type. The 250 puts down something short of 30 HP, while my CBR puts down short of 100. Does anyone run clip type links on the street?

Of course, when using a clip-type it MUST be safety wired.

The reason why I ask is because my chain has a good amount of surface rust. I know it was put on new last year, just not kept lubed for the winter. It would make it allot easier cleaning off the rust and the gunk out from the front and rear sprockets without the chain there. Does anyone use a clip type solely for maintenence purposes? I figure I can grind off the rivets, Clean the chain, swingarm, and sprockets and just install a new clip type link. Id rather not buy a clip type and a rivet, just to ride to the stealership to get them to rivet it on. I dont have the proper tool to rivet it, and dont want to do a half ass job myself and have to buy another link.

This doesnt need to be filled with the usual I only rivet talk. If you have experiance with clip types, good or bad please share. If you had a clip type and it failed, how often/well did you keep it cleaned and lubed?

Damn, that was a fast reply. Thanks.

Yeah, I know ya gotta make the opening face away from the direction of rotation.

I had a place put the chain on my 250. They diddnt even safety wire it. They slapped some silicone on it. That is bull in my opinion. Silicone wouldnt last one chain cleaning. Then he had the nerve to say that he has never broke a chain on his dragbike, and he always runs clips. Too bad a drag bike isnt a streetbike and you dont always have a truck a quartermile away from you to load your bike into when the chain comes off. I couldnt even talk him into riveting my link. He just diddnt want to take the time to do it. Bike shops like that get no respect from me, and thats why the only time I like to let people work on my bike is when I bring them my rims to mount rubber. Even then the other guy at the shop put my front tire on backwards. I dont understand why people put their lives into others hands like that. Unless you know the shop is good people that is.

Agreed, I don't trust anyone working on my bike but myself. I just take wheels off and take them in for tire changes. Oh and when I used my first clip, I put it on in the direction of the rotation and it came off. :lol: I was parked like, "where the hell is my clip?" I then realized you have to face it the other way. "oops" (insert embarrased emotion here)

I couldnt even talk him into riveting my link. He just diddnt want to take the time to do it.

damn thats some BS. it takes like 2 minutes. i would never return to that shop again... wonder what else he didnt want to take the time to do.

.....yea....well.....i know a 600rr that tossed the clip ons left and right!!!! tossed 3-4 last summer alone!!! needless to say, he no longer uses clip ons.....although they were not saftey wired,,,,, FUCK clip ons except for dirt bikes.

IMHO

.....yea....well.....i know a 600rr that tossed the clip ons left and right!!!! tossed 3-4 last summer alone!!! needless to say, he no longer uses clip ons.....although they were not saftey wired,,,,, FUCK clip ons except for dirt bikes.

IMHO

:lol: well i have one on my bike :D

IMHO

+1000