Mileage contest

HeavyDuty

My American legion post has a mileage contest every year for the Legion riders it starts April 15 and ends in late September. We did a check of mileage so far it appears I am winning with 8710 miles so far this year I will add over 1000 more this week riding down to the dragon and back. It would be fun to win the bragging rights probably would have won last year but I forgot about the check in date and missed it. I’m pushing a little over 36,000 on my 2012 so far.

I can't stand when bikes sit.  They want to be ridden.

I ride 10-12k a year.  I work from home so my commute is 0 miles.  95% of my riding is SEO & WV runs.

Well when you have an 8 month old at home it's hard to find time to get out, but I do about 50 miles a week on back roads, plus I started the season off in dire need of new tires and finally just a couple weeks ago gotten that taken care of.

Ah hell, I assumed by mileage contest that this was a fuel saver competition. Was about to go pull a plug wire and injector wire from the wifes 300 so her tiny ass would win hands down at over 100mpg :D

Outside of commuting, we dont pile too many miles. Maybe collectively we have 1k extra curricular miles so far this year

I used to commute 55 miles one way and the wife and I were down to one car for the summer. Rain or shine I rode everyday. I put on 12k miles that summer alone. I remember those days fondly!

Now with kids that have to be picked up from daycare, a commute only 20 miles, more active kids on the weekend and too much work i'm down to about 1-2k miles a year [emoji33]

Edited by mojocho

I guess it is just how you look at it I ride 52 miles one way to work every day this may sound crazy but I love moving thru heavy traffic (480) during rush hour it is my 2 favorite times of the day and the best stress relief I have found it also cuts 15 -20 minutes off my commute time each way. Even stop and go city traffic is ok with me I play a game that I call the slow race I try not to put my feet down ever and see how far I can get it all fun to me. Country riding is just a bonus.

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 1

Riding in less than ideal conditions builds skill.  Slow riding in city traffic and riding safely and authoritatively on the freeway is fun.  Throw in some rain, fog, snow and/or wind and you have the makings for fun riding.  Any fool can ride country roads on sunny 80 degree days - and most do.

• Upvote 2

Riding in less than ideal conditions builds skill. Slow riding in city traffic and riding safely and authoritatively on the freeway is fun. Throw in some rain, fog, snow and/or wind and you have the makings for fun riding. Any fool can ride country roads on sunny 80 degree days - and most do.

We're on the same track here, most won't ride unless it's perfect weather. There is nothing wrong with that but some of us ride anywhere anytime. A little cool weather or some rain is no big deal. I've never made a Gap trip that I didn't get rain for at least 100 miles. If you have the right bike and gear you can ride most of the year and distance is no big deal.
  • Upvote 1

Riding in less than ideal conditions builds skill.  Slow riding in city traffic and riding safely and authoritatively on the freeway is fun.  Throw in some rain, fog, snow and/or wind and you have the makings for fun riding.  Any fool can ride country roads on sunny 80 degree days - and most do.

Come ride with us fools tomorrow. I hear the weather's supposed to be sunny & in the 80s.

What I was trying to convey is that fair-weather riders are often casual riders with minimal experience or skill.  Motorcycling is like flying a plane - anyone can do it under ideal conditions, however, when things get rough the fair-weather pilots are the ones who often get in over their heads and end up the subject of a crash report.  I suspect the majority of single vehicle motorcycle crashes are by fair-weather riders.  How much experience and skill can you develop and maintain if you only ride 3 - 4,000 miles per year?

What I was trying to convey is that fair-weather riders are often casual riders with minimal experience or skill.  Motorcycling is like flying a plane - anyone can do it under ideal conditions, however, when things get rough the fair-weather pilots are the ones who often get in over their heads and end up the subject of a crash report.  I suspect the majority of single vehicle motorcycle crashes are by fair-weather riders.  How much experience and skill can you develop and maintain if you only ride 3 - 4,000 miles per year?

I find this to be exactly true, and every pilot-rider I've talked to feels the same way.  I find first-hand that the first 10 minutes of every riding day (just like a flying day) is my rustiest.  If I haven't ridden or flown in a while, that extends to the first 30-60 minutes.  With more recent experience, those numbers decrease.

For me quality miles start about 50 miles south of where I live. Riding to work & droning the superslab, meh.

You just have to have the right commute...I live in Zanesville and ride 68 miles to Lewisville(Woodsfield area) for work each day.There are so many great roads between work and home that I feel like I'm getting paid to take a great ride every day.Two of my favorite commutes are...78 to 669 to 13 and a longer one 145 to 530 to 60 to 676 to 555 to 550 to 377 to 669.

Those kind of commutes make the workday fly past!

• Upvote 1

You just have to have the right commute...I live in Zanesville and ride 68 miles to Lewisville(Woodsfield area) for work each day.There are so many great roads between work and home that I feel like I'm getting paid to take a great ride every day.Two of my favorite commutes are...78 to 669 to 13 and a longer one 145 to 530 to 60 to 676 to 555 to 550 to 377 to 669.

Those kind of commutes make the workday fly past!

You lucky dog. My commute is rush hour I-480 & I-71. The only turns are of the rolling chicane variety.