Dunlop Q3

zx3vfr

Bike Ninja 650

Bike mileage 11,200

Q3 Mileage 1,400

Style Aggressive street some comuting and 1 800 mile round trip

Tire size 120/70-17 160/60-17

Initial impression. Got stuck in the rain on first ride with 0 miles on them and holy shit new tires are scary in the wet

These are a great street tire probably good for the once or twice a year track guy.

If I had to sum them up I would say they inspire confidence.

Impressed with wear too. One trip from Akron to Indy on a slab and back and returned. No funny hump or wear in the center.

Turn in is very fast and switch highway lanes just by thinking about it. Now that's not saying much considering the rear tire is 20-30 mm smaller than most sport bikes today. But I'll be damned if I go into a turn and maybe 50% of the effort to start the initial lean as the stock tires.

Once in the turn you either keep a reasonable speed and effortlessly make it out the other side or you crack the throttle and just keep pushing on the bars and no matter how fast I go or hard I push the bike stays planted and in the perfect line without interruption even from gravel or an indentation in the road surface.

Overall I really like these tires. Definetly blow the s20s on my old vfr away and probably close to the grip levels of the bt003s on my dads cb1 without sacrificing worn out tires every 2k.

Judging by wear I should easily get 6 maybe 7 k out of them, with no track days.

You will never get 8000 miles from them, they are far better than 003's and good for way more than a twice a year track day guy. Those are a dot track tire and there are guys running A group track days and racing on those tires. I am one. The Q2 and now Q3 are excellent track tires.

Thanks for the review. I'd be curious to see what final mileage you get out of these so it would be great if you could update later.  I love the tires but we are lucky to get 3000 miles (1098 and Monster S4RS) on a set but I think they could go longer on a different bike.  

These are a great street tire probably good for the once or twice a year track guy.

I bet they're a lot more capable than you're giving them credit for.  I have not ridden on Q3's, but I raced on Q2's and did a lot more than one or two track days on them before I started racing.

I was doing this review from my standpoint. Jeebus midge. More than 4 or 5 track days would destroy these tires. I ride strictly street and was injecting that I wouldn't have a problem doing a couple track days a year with them. Is. Ride there and ride back.

I was doing this review from my standpoint. Jeebus midge. More than 4 or 5 track days would destroy these tires. I ride strictly street and was injecting that I wouldn't have a problem doing a couple track days a year with them. Is. Ride there and ride back.

Never ride to and from a track day. A N rider could easily surpass 4or5 days on them. A good I rider prob could as well and then use them as street tires.

I'll be accused of pimping OMRL (again), but I honestly think riding an underpowered bike with sport-touring tires on garbage suspension and crap brakes forces you to evaluate everything else (here, tires) in a completely different light.

Q3's on a fuel injected 600 feels like a motoGP setup by comparison.   So I admit to some level of, for lack of a better term, "exaggeration" when I speak of the Q3's capabilities - I just think it's funny to characterize them as 'good for occasional track use' when some of us are routinely riding at the track on less capable tires.

I haven't heard a bad word about the Q3, but for 90% street use, I'd buy something else (read higher mileage) and just accept that I'll be .5 seconds slower at the track, if only because my brain won't let me push any harder on tires that aren't supposed to be as good.