Goodwill suing WERA racer for millions

Casper

it's $10k, not millions. At least that's what he was saying on the WERA beeb.

I still need to read the full court filing, but if it's as he describes, this won't make it very far.  They've failed to adequately state a legal basis for recovery.  Motion for summary judgment ought to be granted.  And if not, I'd put this in front of any jury in the country...

Again, that's all assuming his version and characterization of the facts is/are accurate.

Edited by redkow97

He should of read the letters. But the amount is ridiculous, I could see requiring him to donate time or pay a small fine.

Per RRW, it's $2,000,000, or any profits realized from its use.  So basically he owes them all his race winnings.  All $0 of it.  I'd agree to that.

It was all over a nightly news special, it's linked in WERA, yes.  Not all the time, nor in all states, but a lot of states have some law letting them do shady stuff like that.  I am serious, I went nuts and called my whole family to tell them to give Goodwill the middle finger hard.

m.bizjournals.com/portland/print-edition/2013/11/15/goodwill-ceos-salary-rises-again.html?r=full

Ya that's y I don't give them anything

Fixed for no fee, haha!:  http://m.bizjournals.com/portland/print-edition/2013/11/15/goodwill-ceos-salary-rises-again.html?r=full

Edited by JackFlash

This level of stupidity is off the charts.  Wouldn't it have been less costly for Goodwill to offer to paint the guy's truck rather than pay legal fees?

I think U-Haul paints over their logos before a vehicle is sold to prevent the need for such douchebaggery.  

Edited by Tpoppa

I think U-Haul paints over their logos before a vehicle is sold to prevent the need for such douchebaggery.  

and Ryder, and Penske.  Representatives from those companies would all be witnesses I'd subpoena if this made it to trial.

F that place hard, they also pay the MRDD 55.5 cents an hour.  So what, they aren't human beings now?  We will never donate to them or shop there again.  F them HARD.

They pay MRDD what!?!?!? Thats fucking ludicrous.

From what I understand, they are people who are otherwise unemployable and likely already on disability income, which has a cap to the amount of working income you can pull in without losing your disability.  Also, as a benefit of being an 'employee', they get benefits that allow them to lead a more social life. 

• Upvote 1

From my understanding, disability income is USUALLY more than minimum wage... depends on a lot of factors.  You can qualify for medical too, whereas flipping burgers likely gets you paying your own medical.

my *edit*
I could be way wrong on the numbers, so someone please chime in if I'm wrong.  I'm basing my understanding on a few situations that I'm aware of for people who I know.  They were not disabled from birth, so I'm not sure how that affects the situation.

I guess this isn't relevant to the OP, but I just read from a .gov website (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs39.pdf

) that the people who are not subject to minimum wage are those who are under "section 14©" and simply being disabled is not sufficient to be under this classification.  People in this classification are those that have a disability that limits their capabilities to complete the job. If a company is going to be paying minimum wage, what is their motivation for hiring people who are physically less capable of completing the required tasks?

I'm not saying that those particular people don't deserve to be paid more, but I feel like these news people that flash this story around to infuriate people don't push the possibility that perhaps the companies that hire the people under section 14c are doing it with good intent, not to screw over disabled people.  Although, maybe they just hate disabled people.

Edited by OsuMj
  • Upvote 1

That's what I was wondering. If I can hire someone with a disability for $.55/hour, and they can retain their benefits and I can give them something to do (and save money at the same time).. then doesn't everybody win?

Depending on their handicap they can work in a fast food place. I employed a few when I managed a pizza place, they can only work so many hours to keep their benefits and they have to have a job coach with them until they're trained and comfortable enough to be left with the crew. The job coach will come back and check up once a week and then if there's any issues we report it to them. When there are incidents, basically the job coach terminates their employment with you. Out of 3 only 1 was let go for acting out and I felt bad for her because I felt like she knew better.