The Truth We Won’t Admit

Strictly Street

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891/

The U.S. public health establishment buries overwhelming evidence that abstinence is a cause of heart disease and early death. People deserve to know that alcohol gives most of us a higher life expectancy—even if consumed above recommended limits.

A society best handles its available intoxicants by regarding them calmly and rationally, and by understanding that people have the capacity (and the responsibility) to consume them in sensible, even life-enhancing ways. As formerly illegal drugs are decriminalized, as new “designer” substances are regularly introduced, as performance-enhancing drugs and quite powerful psychiatric drugs are more and more commonly used, there is really no other option for navigating substance use in the 21st century.

nejm-alcohol.jpg

Long but interesting article.

• Upvote 1

Loved the article. It should be exhibit A on ways the US Medical establishment is ass-backwards.

Looking at the data, it has been know for quite a while there is a strong causal relationship between alcohol consumption and decreased mortality. It's not just a correlation, which is what most people currently assume.

The implication of this? Primary care doctors, parents, schools, etc. should be encouraging consumption.

But that is unlikely to happen because we are just not hard-wired to correctly assess risk. We see drunk driving fatalities and addicts, and assume the impetus to prevent those things outweighs the benefits of extending the lives of countless millions of others.

Fuck the establishment. I will continue boozing it up on a daily basis and hope the kids follow my example.

I enjoy a few drinks as a nightcap regularly through the week. I find I get to sleep faster and sleep much better with a few beers or a moscow mule under my belt and I keep it limited so there's no hangover the next day....

and then Saturday night me and the Mrs get ripped out of our gourds most weeks.

I'm gonna live forever.