Downshifting with a slipper

Jester_

The bike was sprung for tuna who weighs 170, and I weigh about 190. I added 2 rounds of preload in the shock and then after bottoming out the forks at summit point I added 2 rounds in the forks as well. I am afraid I am going to need them re sprung over the winter.

I will try to get sag setup and see how it does next weekend.

Thanks for all the replies.

I always acted like it wasn't there on my GSXR, then when I did need it, it was, but I NEVER counted on it.  About the only time it really came into use was 12/13 at Nelson if I came in too fast and was trying not to dump the front and concentrating hard on braking/making it stick.

Dang I miss it.

something I noticed with my gsxr's with stock slippers, is that if I just tried to slap all three downshifts and then let out, I would often miss that last downshift.  Now I just pulse the clutch lever ever so slightly on each down shift, then I blip and let off completely after last downshift.

I think it is funny that guys are saying you don't need to blip on a slipper...  Is that why there is auto blip on some race bikes with slippers?  Hmmmmm....

Blip.  It helps reduce the harshness.  And you can still get issue even with a slipper...  You still have to be smooth and not hamburger shit.

I think they are nice to have when you have an "oh shit moment"  like coming from riding my street bike which is standard and then going to gp on the trackbike. I had one instance where I came out of turn 13 and decided I would rather dump it back down into 1st instead of third.  Thats when I just throw my hand up and do the parade lap of shame.  Some how when doing said lap I always manage to pass Kevin :)

Edited by RonStopable

I went and did a track day yesterday after reading this thread. So I was playing around with the factory slipper clutch on my 2012 zx10r. 5>4>3>2 I never had any wheel hop. But 2>1 was pretty inconsistent. It seemed if I was going kind of slower it would lock up but if I didn't from a higher speed it would free spin to match. It's definitely a confidence boost not having to stress about getting the blip just right.

My 08 zx6r with stock gearing would hit first into 13 at nelsons and the bus stop at grattan.

WHAAAAT? 

I suppose on a stock geared bike...  That's just not typical.  The bus stop at Putnam is as slow as it is at Grattan and that's been second gear on everything I've ever raced...  Even the stock Hyper Motard...

You are at a track where you get into first gear during a hot lap??

Arroyo Seco in New Mexico. It's a pretty small track. I was also on a 2012 zx10r. You have to keep it over 6k rpm to have any drive out of the corner. Plus I'm not an expert rider so I was at pretty low speed through some corners. They have a corner there called the bus stop. When running counter clockwise you come around a right hand sweeper with a decreasing radius into a tight right immediately followed by a tight left. I was going thru there about 40 mph. Second worked but didn't pull to well. Then heading into the straight it was better to be in first to get a good drive down the straight. Then coming off the start finish straight I'd drop down to 1 again.

Edited by cOoTeR