GPS Suggestions

YZ250

I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction when it comes to a GPS set up on my '07 Yamaha FZ6. I would like something that is simple to use, reliable, and secure during rides. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg, so something that provides great bang for the buck is required.

Any suggestions?

Yup mount your smart phone, rig up a way to charge it.  Then get a Bluetooth for your helmet like Sena so you can have tunes and turn by turn directions in your ear.  I have a inexpensive garmin mounted in a dry box as a back up but i use my phone 95% of the time, for almost 10,000 miles this year. Best phone mount out there is the Ram Mounts Xgrip with a mini ball off your clutch or brake bracket.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/RAMMotorcycleMountWizard/tabid/5108/Default.aspx#/

http://www.sena.com/product/product/smh10/

Edited by 2talltim

I use the same xgrip that Tim mentioned above for my phone. I occasionally use my phone for gps directions. I also have a ram mount gps mount to hold my car's Garmin gps. I have it mounted from my clutch reservoir. It is nice to see your gps speed in close alignment with your line of site. It also helps to see the upcoming roadway alignment when riding twisties in the mountains. The downside to this set up is that I keep a few zip lock bags on the bike to put over the gps while riding in the rain.

For those that use a phone, do you rely on the battery supply or do you have some sort of plug in power supply?

If you do have a plug in power supply, what is the easiest way I can add on to my FZ?

Used one of these plugged into your tender leads. Definitely need to plug it in or it won't last long

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DJ5KEF4?pc_redir=1414525559&robot_redir=1

Edited by 2talltim

Ditto to what Tim and Brian said: Your phone is the cheapest way to go by far, and will do 90% of what you want unless you're a hard-core traveler.  I researched the heck out of this topic and ALMOST plunked down $400 on a TomTom Rider but decided to stay with my iPhone and buy TomTom's $25 app.  It has its quirks and I use Google Map most of the time, but the TT app does "windy route" routing that can be kinda fun when you're looking for new roads to travel.  You definitely want a power supply, and will want to take extra caution with heat and moisture.  Also bind it to your bluetooth helmet for spoken instructions - especially useful when you need to put the phone in your pocket to avoid overheating in the heights of summer.