The Beatles Never Existed and Obama Can Control The Weather

Strictly Street

If I had a friend that believed that, I'd have to cut that lifeline. You're a better man than I am. Or, not... :dunno:

You're absolutely right, sometimes it's been tough to not just break it off, and I don't spend as much time with him as I used to, but I do enjoy respectful debate with folks who have radically different perspectives from time to time.  He's become a dyed-in-the-wool Infowars-type conspiracy follower, but we still manage to respect each other as people.  Somehow. :-)

You're absolutely right, sometimes it's been tough to not just break it off, and I don't spend as much time with him as I used to, but I do enjoy respectful debate with folks who have radically different perspectives from time to time. He's become a dyed-in-the-wool Infowars-type conspiracy follower, but we still manage to respect each other as people. Somehow. :-)

It's one thing to respect a difference of opinion. It's an entirely different thing to be willfully ignorant of the very mundane scientific explanations for con trails. Those people are fucking idiots and should sit quietly in the corner and eat their boogers.

It's one thing to respect a difference of opinion. It's an entirely different thing to be willfully ignorant of the very mundane scientific explanations for con trails. Those people are fucking idiots and should sit quietly in the corner and eat their boogers.

Yea, he's also anti-vaccine as well  :facepalm:  - fortunately his only child is grown and health and mostly immunized.  I just hope he doesn't convince anyone else to skip their kids from shots.

It amazes me that conspiracies tip toe around the really strange stuff, and yet never recognize it. Sort of not seeing the trees for the forest. Or vice versa. I realize that a portion of conspiracies would logically be disinformation, to distract from what is real.

To find what is real, watch for what vanishes from public information. Disappears from the news or the internet. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's very interesting.

It amazes me that conspiracies tip toe around the really strange stuff, and yet never recognize it. Sort of not seeing the trees for the forest. Or vice versa. I realize that a portion of conspiracies would logically be disinformation, to distract from what is real.

To find what is real, watch for what vanishes from public information. Disappears from the news or the internet. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's very interesting.

Conspiracy theories have a very definite form, or plot if you will. They follow very exact rules and therefore all share a commonality.

1. A fact

2. Another fact

3. An improbable connecting of the two.

A real conspiracy on the other hand does not 'Follow the script' as it were. On the other hand they can be turned into a 'Conspiracy Theory' by media control.

Weird circular logic often seen in political spin in the media to discredit a story.

But as you point out, things that 'disappear' are much more likely to be an actual event.

They are interesting as you point out. Connecting them gets even more interesting.

I hope you're kidding. I can prove to you very easily that it was not faked.

Oh no, they landed, but it wasn't Aldrin and Armstrong.  Well, it was them, but only after they were taken over by extraterrestrials.

I have a Facebook friend who reposted a claim that Sandy Hook was faked.

You know who you are! I'm assuming you posted it as a "look how gullible some people are" thing rather than a "look how gullible I am" thing.

I hate it when conspiracy theories discount the real lives that were lost in a given event.  Sandy Hook, 9/11, etc.  I wouldn't be able to control my anger toward one of these people if I was a survivor/family member.