Maybe a career change

gsxkat1100

I need advice from anyone who is in management or marketing.

I may get an opportunity to move to a more fitting position based on my interests within the company I work for now. I need a few questions answered before I decide to follow through with anything aside from research.

Is marketing a lucrative career in a large company?

Is it more lucrative than say, a mechanical engineer?

Are there any guarantees if you pursue an internship to stay with that company?

Internships are absolutely the way to go if you can afford it. They poise you well for a permanent spot and advancement. That being said..."what have you done for me lately?"....that is how marketing folks are perceived and valued.

describe your current mechanical engineering work

describe the would-be management and marketing work

in percentages (or actual numbers if you're comfortable) describe the before and after pay

Currently, I have more of a design role, with future opportunities to maybe advance if I finish my bachelor's degree.

Would be is a 3 month internship first, and then maybe an opportunity to advance in the division that I have more passion for.

I took a considerable pay cut to get the desk I'm at now, but I see my family a lot more than before and the drive is closer. I really can't find any information on salary info for the marketing or the job that I should be able to move into if I stay put.

Engineering and marketing are at opposite ends of the spectrum in a left brain, right brain kind of way.

I would imagine the the average salary for an engineer is considerably higher than for someone in marketing, but it would depend on the actual position. 

Edited by Tpoppa