NOS for towing?

redkow97

those tow-carriers are interesting, but I don't think I would trust the XR to safely sustain highway speeds for any extended period of time.

Plus the point of the trailer is to be able to take 2 or more bikes to GA for the Herrin Compound.

But let's stop being practical about my question and starting talking nitrous.  What kind of stress does that put on an engine, and what is likely to fail first?

I am shocked this doesn't get brought up more as a cheap mod.  I'm picturing newbs putting spray on their EX500 when they realize that a pipe and jet kit are adding 2-4 horsepower max...

NOS will increase combustion chamber temperature and pressure causing premature wear on rings, valves and pistons. Also increases the pressure on the con rods and crank causing premature failure of wrist pins and rod bearings.

In other words.... catastrophic failure...

NOS will increase combustion chamber temperature and pressure causing premature wear on rings, valves and pistons. Also increases the pressure on the con rods and crank causing premature failure of wrist pins and rod bearings.

isn't this the case with any power-add though?

let's pretend for the sake of example that a "10-shot" of nitrous adds 10hp to a motorcycle (round, easy numbers).   How is the stress on the engine from the nitrous system different than a 10hp increase from an exhaust, tune, map, and higher-octane fuel?

I'm not asking to be difficult, I just want to understand how (or if) the stresses are different when power is increased through different methods.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/07/whats-so-wrong-with-nitrous/

"The danger with nitrous, is the same as a turbocharger or supercharger, if you pack way too much air/oxygen in with not enough fuel, temperatures can sore inside the cylinder and cause components to melt/warp. To avoid that problem, we simply make absolutely sure that the air/fuel mixture is relatively rich (lots of fuel to keep things cool) and we do everything we can to avoid pre-ignition by running conservative ignition timing of either stock values or slightly “retarded” values."

There goes your mileage. you would need to run rich all the time unless you program a stand-alone fuel pressure controller. 

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2925.33

But you are correct what ever was proposed in '10 was shot down. I need to dig a little more. Memory gets fuzzy after about 20 min.

that would be a pretty ridiculous citation when there's a trailer behind the vehicle.

What ordinance are you thinking of with the NOS thing though? I recall reading some proposed legislation that sounds similar, but I also recall it being extremely subject to attack based on a 'void for vagueness' defense.

Racing is a behavior, not a piece of equipment. Besides, if you're going to say a civic with nitrous, putting out 300 or so horsepower is automatically a "racer" and thus breaking the law, then how can the law reconcile allowing Corvettes and the like to legally exist?

Edited by Anden

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2925.33

But you are correct what ever was proposed in '10 was shot down. I need to dig a little more. Memory gets fuzzy after about 20 min.

That's listed as a drug offense, not a traffic offense.  The legislative intent is to prevent people from huffing nitrous while operating a vehicle.  Plus the bottle is only "open" when the button is being pressed.    I don't know how much nitrous costs, but if you see lights in your mirror, what's to stop you from just purging the bottle until it's empty?    Then you're possessing an empty bottle instead of an open bottle.

That's my argument, and i'm sticking to it :D

I was looking into nos for my corvette for cheap and easy power. The problem that seemed to be the biggest issue related to engine life is the sudden stress on the components. Most guys were running progressive controllers that slowly increased the amount being sprayed in. But I don't know if one of those would help you.

Will a Supra engine drop in the 'rolla? 

http://www.suprastore.com/2jzgteengine.html

I alluded to it in one of my earlier posts, but I am 99% sure that a Celica GTS engine (if not just the supercharger) is a relatively straightforward swap for someone who knows what he's doing.

That would be a fun project if my goal was to spend a lot of money on making a slow car slightly less slow...

So, we've ruled out NOS as a solution to your towing problems.

But I don't know why some thing a little 30 shot like you were talking is all that bad? Back in my car days I ran a 75 shot through an otherwise stock v6 mustang just for shits and giggles. I ran what you call a "wet kit" that supplies the extra fuel needed through a separate line and nozzle. You "tune" it once on the dyno by selecting the proper fuel jet to get the a/f right when you're spraying. No other tuning needed to the car. Ran probably 100 bottles with no issues.

After I sold my v6 mustang we put the nitrous kit on a Geo Metro. 75 shot...I imagine we just about doubled the hp that thing had. We tried to blow it up, but it just kept running. It had no traction from a stop, but would pull like a freight train from a 30 roll. Completely gutted interior, every ounce of extra weight we could get rid of was chopped, cut, ground off. That little Geo embarrassed many mustangs, camaros, and other fast cars on the 270 loop. Shit, I might just go by another one of those for the hell of it to have some fun with. 

Edited by TRMN8TR
  • Upvote 1

That's listed as a drug offense, not a traffic offense. The legislative intent is to prevent people from huffing nitrous while operating a vehicle. Plus the bottle is only "open" when the button is being pressed. I don't know how much nitrous costs, but if you see lights in your mirror, what's to stop you from just purging the bottle until it's empty? Then you're possessing an empty bottle instead of an open bottle.

That's my argument, and i'm sticking to it :D

Figured that much when I posted it. Then was going to argue how right I am until we hate each others grandchildren. But that is way to much energy to waste.

• Upvote 1