why are supermotos so expensive?

redkow97

the "X" model is listed at 280 lbs. on a dealer's site. Unfortunately said dealer is in CA, but that probably means it's even lighter than 280 without the emissions crap.

That's probably a dry weight figure.

that's a lot of lost stuff (and money) for 15 lbs. I'd be better off not topping off the tank.

Still, it looks like the closest thing to what I consider ideal. I would see about running a much smaller battery and not relying on electric start. If the fuel pump has enough power to prime the engine, bump-starting a fuel-injected 250 single should not be difficult...

I wouldn't recommend bump start only. The wrx's do not have a kick starter either. I'm not sure how you could remove the starter without running some sort of block-off plate. Besides, no real advantage to bump start only if you have to keep a battery on board (and with a wrx you do).

You could just get used to the extra 50-60 lbs.

Or buy a ktm.

Lol, wrx's are great bikes... But there is no perfect bike.

There was one for sale at pirc last season

I don't recall that, but it wouldn't matter anyway.  The WR is way beyond my budget.  

I need to find something older and more beat up, then see if I can do a straight-up trade for the Katana.  I actually really like the Katana, but it's not a light bike by any means...

I'm not trying to overthink it, I'm doing some mental masturbation about what would be cool as hell if money were no object.

Turbo'd WR250x seems to be the closest thing I've found to fitting my requirements.

ah yes... if if were a fifth, we'd all be drunk. 

i'm good with some day dreaming. i'm always dreaming up reasons or ideas to go faster on my SM, but in all actuality it always boils down to my bad case of pussyitis. 

but honestly: i dont see turbo lag and mid corner acceleration going well together. i see high side city. 

I understand that concern, but I would hope that you're keeping the bike in the boost even at mid-corner.  I only looked at their dyno graphs on my phone, so it was pretty much impossible to read their numbers.  I'll have to see when the power really spikes.  It might be a big issue, and it might be nothing.

What you have to remember about turbos:

They're more load dependent than rpm dependent.

It's not like a 2 stroke where you just keep them zinging... You'd have to keep it loaded to keep it boosting. Which is impossible if you're going through corners properly.

What you have to remember about turbos:

They're more load dependent than rpm dependent.

It's not like a 2 stroke where you just keep them zinging... You'd have to keep it loaded to keep it boosting. Which is impossible if you're going through corners properly.

This- I've always always thought about this

if you want a reliable fun supermoto get the wr250x, I just traded my drz400sm for one and I don't regret it. Ya it's not as powerful as a drz or a mx supermoto but its a super fun bike and its a more modern bike than the drz, the build quality is also a lot better.

My biggest hang up on both the bikes listed is that I need to be able to rationalize a street bike as a viable commuting option.

For me that means 40 miles of 70+ mph each way.

Realistically I only commute 5-10 days a year, but I need that to be an option so that I can rationalize the insurance and bike cost to my wife.

I'd also enjoy being able to ride the bike to PIRC and hit up the kart track.

There are a number of dual sport bike that can do it. The real issue is finding what kind of bike that you enjoy riding. I intend to ride a sport touring bike Monday thru Thursday (or Friday). I will ride a dual sport on some Fridays and weekends.