Less strict gun rules start in Ohio today (be sure to read the article comments)

Casper

Oh hell yes!!!

Agreed, PA may end up being a heck of a hold-out.  That reminds me to get over there sometime soon to file for my out-of-state permit.  Anyone have a favorite office that's close to the border?

I might just have to renew mine early. Gonna have to go talk to my local sheriff friend about it

Keep us posted, the law says only 90 day before it expires. BUT we don't know what the rule is from TX or WI for sure yet...so don't panic.  I have pinged the Ohio AG for clarification on the issue. TX and WI will post a full copy of the agreement at some point.....then we will know for sure.

Keep us posted, the law says only 90 day before it expires. BUT we don't know what the rule is from TX or WI for sure yet...so don't panic. I have pinged the Ohio AG for clarification on the issue. TX and WI will post a full copy of the agreement at some point.....then we will know for sure.

My sheriff is also my local gun shop owner, FFL, and CCW instructor, so he stays up on stuff. I'll try to pick his brain soon. Edited by mango_sv

Shit just got real, five more states announced. F'ing TEXAS is on the list. New Hampshire ffs!!....Just got to figure out a way to get reciprocity with PA...that is going to be tough.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/OHAG/bulletins/f9f0aa?reqfrom=share

Edit: Be careful, Texas and Wisconsin might be only for licenses issued from today on.....because of the new way we do background checks.

I didnt see NH included?  Is it?  That would be huge as I have family there and VT, and obviously VT is kind of do whatever you want kind of thing already....

EDIT: I could open link, that's awesome!

Edited by madcat6183

LLC is same. Just list next of kin as officers on the LLC.

And two completely different departments handle CCW as opposed to NFA. It will be handled. They've ben sued already over it. If you've a clean background he now has to sign off. Stop being negative and do it.

They have 45 days on your CCW, they'll use it. You should already know that

Thats the thing I don't get.  I have a OVI 5+ years ago, lost count, other than that, nothing.  I know of a ton of people with way worse than that who get their licenses in a few days, me not so much.

I think they hate me :(

Good to know they already went to court over it, guess that means it should be easier which would be nice.

Edited by madcat6183

My sheriff is also my local gun shop owner, FFL, and CCW instructor, so he stays up on stuff. I'll try to pick his brain soon.

Ask him what he thinks about revoking a CCW..which he can do then instantly redoing it for peeps. But we need to see what the long term effects are.  I am ok on this issue I realized. Mine renews in February of 2016 and my PA is good until April of 2016 and bottom line I will have to renew the PA one anyway.

Last sentence, first paragraph.

Yep saw it once I posted, sorry.  That is awesome too especially since we fly into Manchester to visit said family members in both states.

Plus lots of land where they live and lots of guns, so I can actually bring my own now.

Can't wait for my super duper high capacity assault mag clipazines with extra lethality to kill babies.

Yea but all that lead ruins them for soup.

Who remembers dead baby jokes from the late 70s?

Edited by smccrory

I took the bait and read the most recent comments.

Seems to be a typical debate about general 'gun control' issues rather than much factual debate about any of the changes in the law.

The only thing I don't like is the reduction in training hours to receive a permit to carry.  Hear me out on this...  1) I think it's a good PR move to require more training whenever possible.  2) some people legitimately need more training before they can safely carry a firearm.  I'm including myself in that group.

It's not that I feel as though I would be reckless or unsafe, but I have relatively little handgun experience, and I want to be CONFIDENT in my abilities before carrying a loaded firearm in public.  To use a motorcycle metaphor, I would rather learn on a 250 and get comfortable on that before just streeting a 1000 from day 1.  It's not that I don't know how to use the 1000, but I'm far from "comfortable" with it.

I personally have the self-control to resist carrying a loaded weapon until I work through the process of safely handling it without barrel-sweeping bystanders or being a dumbass with securing it in my vehicle when it's not allowed in an establishment, etc.  - I do not trust everyone to be as vigilant as I am.

That said, I also feel there should be a (strict) way to opt-out of the entire 8-hour (or 12-hour) training requirement.  Some sort of skills test that would allow experienced shooters to demonstrate a mastery of safety and accuracy.  This would need to be legitimately tough, or it would become a joke.  And the people administering the test would have to maintain their integrity and not just pass their buddies who don't want to take the classes.

/rant.

Overall, a pretty positive legislative change.

• Upvote 1

The only thing I don't like is the reduction in training hours to receive a permit to carry.  Hear me out on this...  1) I think it's a good PR move to require more training whenever possible.  2) some people legitimately need more training before they can safely carry a firearm.  I'm including myself in that group.

It's not that I feel as though I would be reckless or unsafe, but I have relatively little handgun experience, and I want to be CONFIDENT in my abilities before carrying a loaded firearm in public.  To use a motorcycle metaphor, I would rather learn on a 250 and get comfortable on that before just streeting a 1000 from day 1.  It's not that I don't know how to use the 1000, but I'm far from "comfortable" with it.

I personally have the self-control to resist carrying a loaded weapon until I work through the process of safely handling it without barrel-sweeping bystanders or being a dumbass with securing it in my vehicle when it's not allowed in an establishment, etc.  - I do not trust everyone to be as vigilant as I am.

That said, I also feel there should be a (strict) way to opt-out of the entire 8-hour (or 12-hour) training requirement.  Some sort of skills test that would allow experienced shooters to demonstrate a mastery of safety and accuracy.  This would need to be legitimately tough, or it would become a joke.  And the people administering the test would have to maintain their integrity and not just pass their buddies who don't want to take the classes.

/rant.

Overall, a pretty positive legislative change.

I agree with this. A buddy at work is an ex-marine, now gone NRA instructor for almost 10 years. He hosts CHL classes most weekends, as well as other shooting/training programs, and he had issues with what subject matter to cut from his course when the requirement was 12 hours. Now he needs to figure out where to cut another 4 hours of instruction. He's not happy. He truly enjoys educating future carriers and pushes inexperienced shooters to take his proficiency courses in addition to the now-more-anemic CHL class.

I understand it's a shooters responsibility to manage in range time to keep skills up, but gun laws and proper safety plays as big a part, if not more importantly.

Proficiency testing may be a good way to give educated and experienced shooters a fast track option through the class, but I'd vote an extensive written test should be mandantory followed by the shooting test