Less strict gun rules start in Ohio today (be sure to read the article comments)

Casper

• 3 weeks later...

This works out well for me. My PA expires next year a month after my Ohio. So I will have my Ohio renewed..so I will get Texas and Wisconsin and won't have to renew my PA for that either. It's a good day to be a gun nut.

• Upvote 1

What does it mean when it says that state only honors a permit from residents of the states they honor? I thought that we can carry legally CCW in Michigan and Florida for example, at least it says so on the map?

What does it mean when it says that state only honors a permit from residents of the states they honor? I thought that we can carry legally CCW in Michigan and Florida for example, at least it says so on the map?

You can. What that means is if you live in Ohio they will honor your Ohio. But if you live in Ohio they will not honor your PA permit.

You can. What that means is if you live in Ohio they will honor your Ohio. But if you live in Ohio they will not honor your PA permit.

Ok cool that is what I thought, sure wish that NH and Maine honored Ohio CHL......and fuck NY!!!!!

Ok cool that is what I thought, sure wish that NH and Maine honored Ohio CHL......and fuck NY!!!!!

Yep, and Maryland.

PA is a big deal to me because it means I don't have to disarm at the border when visiting parents in northern WV. But Maryland's silliness means my travel to other relatives in Reston is more limited.

NH and Maine might come soon......they will honor if we honor and we are similar. Our new law forces us to honor no matter what. Just going to take a few months to get it all going.

• Upvote 1

Folks.....don't get caught up in this.....Nothing has changed for the VAST majority of us. Unless you get a new issued permit dated after 3/23/15 all is the same. Your permit must state NCIS on it to be valid with the new reciprocity agreements. All prior licenses were only FBI & BCI background checks(which is why some states did not recognize or accept ours). The new ones will include the National Criminal Instant background check System (same one used for purchasing a firearm). With the new permit, you will still have to fill out  the standard 4473 form, but all you need to do is show your CHL (with the NCIS on it) and that will alleviate them calling in for approval.

Edited by myhondas

Folks.....don't get caught up in this.....Nothing has changed for the VAST majority of us. Unless you get a new issued permit dated after 3/23/15 all is the same. Your permit must state NCIS on it to be valid with the new reciprocity agreements. All prior licenses were only FBI & BCI background checks(which is why some states did not recognize or accept ours). The new ones will include the National Criminal Instant background check System (same one used for purchasing a firearm). With the new permit, you will still have to fill out  the standard 4473 form, but all you need to do is show your CHL and that will alleviate them calling in for approval.

Please correct me if I am wrong and call me an asshat but as I understand it:

We are good to go in PA, NH and all the other states the AG announce a couple of weeks ago.

The issue you bring up applies to Wisconsin for sure (they even say so on their website), and will almost certainly apply to Texas when they sign the agreement.  You must have a new license after the new background check.

Folks.....don't get caught up in this.....Nothing has changed for the VAST majority of us. Unless you get a new issued permit dated after 3/23/15 all is the same. Your permit must state NCIS on it to be valid with the new reciprocity agreements. All prior licenses were only FBI & BCI background checks(which is why some states did not recognize or accept ours). The new ones will include the National Criminal Instant background check System (same one used for purchasing a firearm). With the new permit, you will still have to fill out  the standard 4473 form, but all you need to do is show your CHL (with the NCIS on it) and that will alleviate them calling in for approval.

My current license is up for renewal in June, so will I not be grandfathered into all of this?

My current license is up for renewal in June, so will I not be grandfathered into all of this?

As soon as you renew you will be golden. You will have to do the full NICS background check this time. No big deal, I do them every 2 years at work. It's actually easier and faster for them.

We are good to go in PA, NH and all the other states the AG announce a couple of weeks ago.

The issue you bring up applies to Wisconsin for sure (they even say so on their website), and will almost certainly apply to Texas when they sign the agreement.  You must have a new license after the new background check.

This is what I have seen on the issue.

From what I understand, the new agreements that were signed were done under the new requirements for CHL's in ohio. I don't believe that they pertain to the old CHL's. Must have the NCIS stamped on the CHL to be valid. But to be sure, I will inquire with the AG's office here in Cleveland.

But to be sure, I will inquire with the AG's office here in Cleveland.

If want hit C-Bus AG you will get a call from Jason the next day, he is the head man on these issues. Very helpful and responsive dude.

Ohio Ag says that Wisconsin only recognizes permits issued after 3/23. PA, NH, TX have not signed the agreements yet so it isn't legal yet...here is the page on the AG's site where the agreements are. Until it shows up on this page, it isn't legal yet. You can click on any of the states and see the agreement.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreements

Edited by myhondas

Ohio Ag says that Wisconsin only recognizes permits issued after 3/23. PA, NH, TX have not signed the agreements yet so it isn't legal yet...here is the page on the AG's site where the agreements are. Until it shows up on this page, it isn't legal yet.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry/Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreements

I said that was the case for Wisconsin, and probably would be for Texas 'when they sign'.  We are most certainly legal in PA, it is on the PA's AG website. They give reciprocity to others that give it to them as long as our laws are as least as strict as theirs.  Our law BEFORE these changes was more strict, we wouldn't recognize them in the past...that was the holdup. Now that we do we are ok even on the old license.

Can't find the info on NH yet, but it is the same deal as PA.

Ohio AG stated that until they receive the signed agreement they don't recognized it as being valid. But if one was in pa with only an Ohio CHL, I would have to assume that PA would recognize it if it is on their AG page. Considering I just did mine last Oct....I won't see the benefits until the end of 2019. But still have the non-res PA CHL so I'm good in WI & TX  and according to all info I can find, NOTHING on NH

I will just revised my last..... Pa  states that OH holders have statutory reciprocity with ohio IF ohio recognizes pa licenses which they do NOT do at this time. Once Ohio has the signed agreement in hand they will, but not until then....so I would say you would be on questionable thin ice at this time..... I would not chance it myself.