KTM will discontinue RC8 as 'too dangerous' for public

redkow97

Not sure if this is old news or a repost, but Riders Discount shared it on facebook within the last couple of days

http://therideadvice.com/no-more-superbikes-for-ktm-ceo-says-theyre-too-dangerous-for-public-roads/

I'm not disinclined to agree with this position (that a superbike on the street is unnecessary), but if it's profitable, I believe KTM has a duty to its shareholders to compete in this market segment. 

Edited by redkow97

Interesting read, I wonder if there is some inside information we are not getting. Targeting the smaller company first, or are they bowing out of the fight and letting the bigger guys take up the battle.

Like the end of the article stated fairings are bad.

I'm getting a blank white page. :/

Ditto, so I searched google and found this: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ktm-rc8-to-be-ditched-replaced-by-track-only-v4-superbike-84800.html

That article goes a different direction and says its just old, since it will be releasing an RC16 somewhere around 2017 so it can compete in MotoGP .

The more I read about this, the more I think it's a good PR move for KTM with the European governments, and a convenient way for them to withdraw from the liter sportbike class without losing face.

The KTM RC8 seems to be a really legit platform, but I have never seen one on the street.  Were it not for the Mid-Ohio school, I probably would never have seen one in person at all.  I would bet they're not making money on them.  The Super Duke(?) that shares the same engine will probably not see a new generation either, unless they find something to share the drivetrain. 

this is the future of the safer world.

Bunch of liberal leftist hoopla.

Wouldn't it be more liberal leftist hoopla to expect them to continue making a product they don't want to make?

The more I read about this, the more I think it's a good PR move for KTM with the European governments, and a convenient way for them to withdraw from the liter sportbike class without losing face.

The KTM RC8 seems to be a really legit platform, but I have never seen one on the street.  Were it not for the Mid-Ohio school, I probably would never have seen one in person at all.  I would bet they're not making money on them.  The Super Duke(?) that shares the same engine will probably not see a new generation either, unless they find something to share the drivetrain. 

I think you and Anden are right - I bet they're not making enough money with limited volume.  In fact, I expect the Kawasaki H2 to similarly be a brand-leading flagship innovation worth its weight in PR, but not in retail sales.  I mean, who can afford the $50k for the H2 R model?  At least the RC8 could be had for less than a Harley.

I was under the impression that the H2 was $50k and the R was considerably more.

that said, the H2 dyno sheet shows that it's intentionally neutered for public use.  The horsepower graph goes completely flat at 11k RPM, and stays flat until 13k RPM.  People are already speculating that a simple ECU flash could yield 30+ horsepower gains.

I was under the impression that the H2 was $50k and the R was considerably more.

that said, the H2 dyno sheet shows that it's intentionally neutered for public use.  The horsepower graph goes completely flat at 11k RPM, and stays flat until 13k RPM.  People are already speculating that a simple ECU flash could yield 30+ horsepower gains.

Wouldn't doubt it, my 08 zx6r had the same issue where at like 12k it made no extra power to help comply with emissions. There was a 10 cent fix for it and all was good.

I'm with everyone else on this as they really don't race them many places and I think I have seen a total of 3 since they have been released.

i thought the H2 was only 20 something and the R was 50k and not able to be titled?

i thought the H2 was only 20 something and the R was 50k and not able to be titled?

the H2R isn't going to be street legal from the factory, but whether or not it can be titled will depend on whether or not it has a VIN.

It could just be an "offroad" chassis that can be inspected and titled, but my guess is that it's not even technically a "vehicle" as defined by law.  The whole thing is likely sold as a performance part.  Dodge did that with the Viper ACR, or whatever their turnkey racecar was called.