Baltimore Riots

Casper

You simply can't fix all the reasons poverty exists. All this pussy footing around upsets me. How many additional millions should we dump into a situation that we know isn't fixable regardless of what it's labeled. Riots effects us all starting with insurance.

You simply can't fix all the reasons poverty exists. All this pussy footing around upsets me. How many additional millions should we dump into a situation that we know isn't fixable regardless of what it's labeled. Riots effects us all starting with insurance.

It needs to be fixed from the education system up. 

• Upvote 1

Thug lifestyle, gangs, drugs and alcohol, break down of the American family, "not wanting to work".....blaming society and living in the past, race baiting and overall playing the blame game. Yup there is the problem in a nutshell, so until the perception of many and the statistics swing in a different direction......it is what it is. Blame the po po all you want, stupid hurts and continuing to break the law and acting like a fool, is going to get the attention of the police every single time. A rap sheet is a rap sheet, and many work very hard at building it up. Yup police can get aggressive and obviously screw up, but can you blame them.....do YOU want their job dealing with the dregs and damaged goods of society? Stop making excuses for so many punks out there, plenty of non white folks get a long just fine with whitey and we all live and work in harmony.

Nobody is making excuses, just outlining contributory causes that are key parts of the problem especially in highly segregated, poor inner cities.  We don't see that in suburbia for self-filtering reasons.

Watching the TV last night, I'll admit I wanted to pick off a few looters from the roof to make the rest scatter (not that I'd actually do it, but it was an indulgent thought).  I watched idiots try to self-justify violent behavior to reporters and then dodge away when they failed to connect with justifiable rationale.  It was revealing about how little some people care about anything and will use the most contorted of logic to suit their selfishness.  Of course, we've also seen videos of cops behaving very badly and I don't know about you, but I've wanted to punch a few through the screen.  That's what these kids feel when they see antsy, under-disciplined storm-troopers hassle them and treat people who look like them wrongly, and then the media either vilify the victims or stir up revolt.  "Society" will continue to deal with this forever until we grasp that there are consequences to "I got mine, go F yourselves" social isolationism, opportunistic corporatism and selective politics.  Call me a liberal for saying that if anybody wants, but ignoring those factors is fool's folly that will never solve the problem on a social scale.  Also feel free to call me a conservative for wanting each and every violent perp to be prosecuted based on any and every piece of footage available.  Civil unrest like that cannot be allowed to prevail, or else why do we even have laws?

• Upvote 1

It needs to be fixed from the education system up.

How many decades has this been attempted? If your son would become a thug, it wasn't because of the education system. De facto parents, AKA teachers, can only do so much.

Edited by Gump

Nobody is making excuses, just outlining contributory causes that are key parts of the problem especially in highly segregated, poor inner cities.  We don't see that in suburbia for self-filtering reasons.

Watching the TV last night, I'll admit I wanted to pick off a few looters from the roof to make the rest scatter (not that I'd actually do it, but it was an indulgent thought).  I watched idiots try to self-justify violent behavior to reporters and then dodge away when they failed to connect with justifiable rationale.  It was revealing about how little some people care about anything and will use the most contorted of logic to suit their selfishness.  Of course, we've also seen videos of cops behaving very badly and I don't know about you, but I've wanted to punch a few through the screen.  That's what these kids feel when they see antsy, under-disciplined storm-troopers hassle them and treat people who look like them wrongly, and then the media either vilify the victims or stir up revolt.  "Society" will continue to deal with this forever until we grasp that there are consequences to "I got mine, go F yourselves" social isolationism, opportunistic corporatism and selective politics.  Call me a liberal for saying that if anybody wants, but ignoring those factors is fool's folly that will never solve the problem on a social scale.  Also feel free to call me a conservative for wanting each and every violent perp to be prosecuted based on any and every piece of footage available.  Civil unrest like that cannot be allowed to prevail, or else why do we even have laws?

So sounds to me like responsible parenting is the main issue and or being stuck in a lifestyle or culture......and it has been going on for quite some time now, but really really coming to a festering boil now. Single Moms, no Dad in the picture or he is possibly in prison or even Mom is in prison, so gangs become your family and or you are raised by a grandparent or another family member. There is lots of poverty throughout this country, yet many seem to stay out of prison and not be a menace to society. The poor impoverished "families" seem to be the ones that get by, the rest with no family units or family members who cannot or will not try to control or guide their "offspring".....well you see what happens with that. ;)

How many decades has this been attempted? If your son would become a thug, it wasn't because of the education system.

I agree with this as much as it pains me.  I like to credit good education for so many people's successes, but the truth is without mindful, involved parenting and a strong element of self-initiative, there's no amount of training that will make someone less of a waste case.

So sounds to me like responsible parenting is the main issue and or being stuck in a lifestyle or culture......and it has been going on for quite some time now, but really really coming to a festering boil now. Single Moms, no Dad in the picture or he is possibly in prison or even Mom is in prison, so gangs become your family and or you are raised by a grandparent or another family member. There is lots of poverty throughout this country, yet many seem to stay out of prison and not be a menace to society. The poor impoverished "families" seem to be the ones that get by, the rest with no family units or family members who cannot or will not try to control or guide their "offspring".....well you see what happens with that. ;)

I mostly really agree with that, though as a single parent myself, I think it's the quality, not quantity.

Everybody touts "revolution" and "take back what's ours", but when a group actually starts to take shit into their own hands, it's a shit show and a bunch of whiny assholes arguing about how they would do it differently. Well, get off your ass and do it differently. Show someone what you're actually made of, or keep flapping your cock holster. Either way, enjoy the shit show. Coming to a city near you!!

Probably the most insightful post ever on OR.

What the rioters in Baltimore have done is what is referred to in the military as "shittin' in your own mess kit"….  It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

There is definitely a problem--perhaps a growing problem, or perhaps just greater transparency as a result of the ready access for 90% of the world to instant media--of heavy handed police enforcement ever since 9/11 and the establishment of the DoHS.  As someone stated earlier, I sure as hell don't want the job but that doesn't give the one sworn into the position carte blanche to take the law into his own hands and administer point-of-contact justice.  What bothers me is that this is being portrayed as a race issue, a white-v-black issue, and I just can't see it that way.  Yeah, I'm white, but I'm also of Canadian descent and as a child, I was raised without any bias in the house or from the people around me.  This is an issue of too many people over-stepping their authority or their civil rights, both on the part of the police (and not just in Baltimore) and on the part of the rioters.  So it would seem that one bad turn deserves another?  Sorry, I'll say it again….it just doesn't make sense.

If one was to critically analyze the situation, there are folks on OR and elsewhere who espouse the theory that it can be attributed to the black community's sense of powerlessness to effect change in their lives, and thus their only option is to direct their anger toward the power establishment.  Would it that much of a stretch to say that the over-reaction of the police in certain instances may also be an indication that they feel powerless to control their environment?  Just thinking out loud….

• Upvote 1

What's a good police scanner app (free) to listen to the madness on. And maybe pick up local traffic as well.

5-0 radio pro works really good but I can't remember if it's free.

Let's protest riots!!!! O wait. I'm not really sure protests accomplish more then writing letters to lawmakers or voting. Perhaps a viral video containing a challenge and a message?

J walking is not a reason to have you're head snapped off by the police. Police need better training and way stricter rules on using deadly force. It will only get worse so be ready if you live in a city with an abusive police force. Why they burned down their own neighborhood I will never understand that.

J.S

• Downvote 1

Scanner Radio for Android - popular in Central Ohio area - good coverage

currently lists Baltimore as number one station

will run in the background unless you shut it off - has an option to send notification if something happens and a lot of people jump on

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scannerradio&hl=en

Been pretty quiet downtown on the waterfront. At the place I'm working, the head of security is the former Baltimore Police Commissioner (apparently) and he seems to think things might get dicey this weekend. Who knows, though.

Weather is beautiful!

"A prisoner in the same van said he thinks Gray was trying to hurt himself, a report says."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/30/us/baltimore-freddie-gray-death-investigation/index.html

You fail to mention the extra stop the van made. A stop the cops were hiding from everyone and was only discovered by a private company that had security cameras on the street.

You fail to mention the extra stop the van made. A stop the cops were hiding from everyone and was only discovered by a private company that had security cameras on the street.

And we shall find out what happened soon enough, that extra stop may not have been to rough him up and break his neck. He could have been thrashing about, he could have possibly had a seizure, and of course police may have been negligent and contributed to his injury/death.......once again we shall see. What is upsetting the most is how this is just another event of "blame the cops" when I tend to blame the idiots being criminals. I do not want my son to be a cop when he gets out of the Army, such a thankless and dangerous job.

Slightly related. There should be a bit of, you commit a crime and act like an asshole, you might get your ass kicked or killed by the police. Someone breaks into your house and you fight them you're going to try and should kill them. And this hero mom assaulting her 16 year old son. Pfft, I liked it to an extent but a male parent assaulting a female child like that and the world would come to an end. She should have spanked him. I think you're still "allowed" to do that.

There are no bright-line rules for corporal punishment, but the practice itself isn't illegal.

It is always helpful to:

- not leave marks

- not injure the child

- make it clear to the child that they are being spanked (or whatever) because they did ________ act that you forbid.

What courts don't like is when daddy and daughter are arguing, and he slaps her across the face in the middle of an argument and bruises her cheek.  The slap isn't the problem, it's the injury, and the fact that it was done "in anger" rather than as an explained and anticipated punishment.

You know what I'd like to see more than that mother smacking her kid around?  His father having her back on the issue.

• Upvote 1

What's the legality of roof mounted crew served machine guns for businesses? It's a language everyone understands, black, white, roof Korean, whatever. Everyone buy your roof mounted crew served weapons systems here! Daddy needs a supercharger.

• Upvote 1