Kawasaki KZ1000

Staubig

Anybody know much about this bike? I have this dream of making a mean AF classic bike and this sounds like a hell of a start. Anybody know of any faster classic bikes? I more or less want a classic bike that can compete with (some) street bikes. I really like the KZ1 and my old man had one I used to sit on, so it has my heart. Plus mad max. Need I say more?

V65 sabre is a good suggestion. It's so sexy, and incredibly fast. I'd just love to have a toy to blow some of the kids away on. Not to mention a sabre would have the ultimate slow disguise--Vtwin lol

How about a ZRX1200. Looks more old school than it really is. They're fast and even handle pretty well.

And if you put on a turbo it does this:

https://youtu.be/k-vskyCJrnc

Whole video is pretty impressive but skip to 2:55 and keep your eye on the speedo. It's driven by the front wheel, which is off the ground from 50-150 mph.

Loved my gen 1 vmax... Wish I still had it, just couldn't afford 2 bikes at the time. Sold it to buy a z1000 but deal fell through so went bikeless until picking up vfr... The gen 1 vmax is quick, but it's not sport bike quick... Maybe keep up with a 600 in a straight line... With myself being an average rider, it was good for low-flat 11s...I don't think it would break 10s without a small skilled rider, at least not by a whole lot... I was pulling 11.3-11.6 on mine buy I'm 270lbs and it was my first time at the track on a bike so there was room to improve... -gen 2 is where the power is at, but pricey

Oh, and avoid triple digits... I caught some air up under mine at 130mph fucking around with a friend on a busa one morning on 270 (2am, nobody out) and went into a wicked tank slapper... I thought for sure I was about to take a triple digit slide... Never really trusted it again after that

Sabre is v4.

If you want to build an air cooled sleeper buy a 1200 bandit. can be made silly fast with jets, filters, a pipe and a set of old gsxr or katana cams.

I meant 4, twin just slips out every time I say v lol

Bandit almost looks too much like a sports bike for the project to be a success

Guys, guys! I think I'm in love with the ZRX! Its pretty much a sport bike motor in a classic-ish frame. You could definitely make that Kaw LOOK like a sleeper too. I live 2 minutes away from Dragway 42 and want to have something to take next year without.

My vmax times were just the reported ones on wikipedia, and although it is super quick I think its too ugly for me too ever love lol

Guys, guys! I think I'm in love with the ZRX! Its pretty much a sport bike motor in a classic-ish frame. You could definitely make that Kaw LOOK like a sleeper too. I live 2 minutes away from Dragway 42 and want to have something to take next year without.

My vmax times were just the reported ones on wikipedia, and although it is super quick I think its too ugly for me too ever love lol

My brother was in the same boat.  He really wanted a KZ1000 but wanted something a bit more reliable for a daily rider.  He wound up buying a ZRX.  He figured it was basically a newer gen KZ.

I rode it plenty of times.  Fast, decent handing, good seat and ergos.  Also, that motor responds well to mods.

• Downvote 1

I definitely think I want a Kaw. Idk, why, probably because my dad always had one. The ZRX looks mean, and is mean. My dads old Z1 had a skull and crossbones with "rambone" written across it on his tank. Somehow I missed the badass phase of my dad, but I'd like to revive it.

My uncle had a z1 900. My dad's cb750 with 836 kit and a cam would smoke it. I'm all about the vintage aluminum tho, I'm working my mechanic skills with a guy right now that buys old bikes and flips them.If a kaw liter bike crosses our path I'll let you know. Most of his bikes go for less than $1500.

I'd appreciate it! Doesn't need to be big, just fast lol you've got my #. Girlfriend wants to go to Aruba, so I won't be able to get another bike till there's snow on the ground

There is a picture of my KZ1000 in my Gallery bought it new in 76 still looks new it had a turbo on it until we needed money back in 83 so I sold the turbo I do not ride it much anymore the tires on it are over 20 yeas old and to cheep to get new ones.

http://ohioriders.net/uploads/gallery/album_1442/gallery_16503_1442_129498.jpg

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 1

If fast and drag racing are your goals, why not save the effort and buy a cheap busa for the track? Should be able to find a wrecked or branded title busa for cheap and get it on the track

I'm not against a busa MOTOR. I just think that street bikes are expected to be fast. I want to make something that nobody will expect to be that fast, and then to have it blow their tits off. This is all very early though process. Just need to feel put a starting bikr so I can start "planning"

There is a picture of my KZ1000 in my Gallery bought it new in 76 still looks new it had a turbo on it until we needed money back in 83 so I sold the turbo I do not ride it much anymore the tires on it are over 20 yeas old and to cheep to get new ones.

http://ohioriders.net/uploads/gallery/album_1442/gallery_16503_1442_129498.jpg

Are you willing to part ways with it eventually? Also, how well did that turbo work. I just started researching turbos today. Is it all noise and good times, or is it a noticeable performance upgrade?

The turbo made a big difference over the 120mph mark I had the bike bored to 1170 and had high performance pistons and cams put in it the first week after I had that done I sheared all of the dog gears off of second gear doing a full power shift and had to have the transmission rebuilt and beefed up. The bike was faster up to 120 without the turbo but when the turbo finely kicked in it would lift the front end off the ground and leave any other bike I was racing way behind I never lost a street race and only lost once at the track by a few inches only because I F--k up and waited to long to do the last shift and over ran the power curve. The other bike was another KZ1000 built by the same people that did mine.

The bike is going to my grandson when he can earn the money to pay for it respect it and is mature enough to have some common sense. Just between us I will not take his money I just want him to work for it and show me he really wants it.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Damn, sounds like an awesome bike. Pretty much what I want to do to a bike. I've got a lot to learn, good thing I've got Skullcrusher to inform my dumbass lol

Fully respect and appreciate you giving it to your grandson. My dad sold his Kz1000, I kid you not, the day before I turned 16. I understand his choices, and I know it was for "my own good". I just would have loved to keep that bike in the family. It definitely hurt to see it go. Especially because I followed up and the kid just flipped it for cash. I would have had, and loved, that bike forever...