2002 cbr600f4i loses power when I hit the start button help please

Ridehonda315

I have a 2002 cbr600f4i. Most the time when I turn my key on to start it the gauges do the 0-14 reset like there suppose then I hit the start button it clicks and it loses all power clock Resets and everything They will be like very faint lights on the screen and everything will sound really weird like there's connection problems maybe I I leave the key on and walk away to get a tool or something I will come back and all gauges and lights will all be on a again and when I hit the start button it clicks and dies again. The bike will pop start fine and run fine. Every once and a while the bike won't click and lose power it will fire up great and I can shit it off and start it right back up again no problems so I rode for a day and a half starting up fine and shutting it off when I got to where I was going and then it would start up fine and the I came out of the parts store and it did the whole click and lose power thing again I pop started it and it ran perfect rode it 20 minutes home and I got home shut it off and tried to start it again and it just clicked and killed power If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it I don't know what it would be i know it's not my battery cuz when it doesn't click it fires up great and turns over fast. Please help it's driving me nuts. Thanks

You could be right about the starter--if the motor is weak or the brushes/armature are shorted, it could be drawing so many amps that it jiggers the electronics.  However, if it was my bike, I'd check the start button in the bar housing first.  The way many "modern" bikes are built, the headlight circuit is routed thru the start button so that when you hit the button, it temporarily shuts down the headlight, saving amp draw during starting.  What this eventually does, tho, is cook the contacts in the button due to the amp surge from the headlight.  I'd take the housing apart and at the least, check and clean the starter button contacts.  Easy and cheap!!!  If that isn't the problem, then look elsewhere.

The way many "modern" bikes are built, the headlight circuit is routed thru the start button so that when you hit the button, it temporarily shuts down the headlight, saving amp draw during starting.  What this eventually does, tho, is cook the contacts in the button due to the amp surge from the headlight.

BTW,  Eastern Beaver offers relay kits for the headlight circuit that eliminates the amp surge thru the starter button circuit.  Not that expensive and comes with the added benefit of making your headlights brighter (more amperage going to the headlights).

I think you need a new battery as well. It is running fine when you pop start it because your charging system is in good working order, but my guess is if you keep pop starting it soon won't be. If you have a battery charger hook it up at 10amps and see if bike will start. If it does I would say you definitely need a new battery.

I had an 01 F4i and it would occasionally not fire, but would just crank. I had an older battery so I would drain it fast. What I attributed it to was a bad connection at the kill switch. What I did was spray some electronic contact cleaner down in the crevices around the kill switch, hooked it up to a battery charger and it would fire and run fine. This typically happened after I washed the bike. You could give it a try, but I would be getting that battery checked out. If nothing else, charge the battery overnight and see how the bike reacts. If you don't have a charger I think I saw where AutoZone will charge batteries for free check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get your battery testedits probably got a bad cell. If the voltage is very low charge it up and go from there... With regular diagnostics, checking for charging voltage of 14.6. If you're getting a steady 14.6 at 4,000 rpm or so you're system is most likely in good working order. Then check for a draw.