Puerto Rico

Tonik

So who wants to go down for 5 or 6 days and ride 100's of miles of 'Dragon-like' roads?  Just got back, it was epic but did not rent a bike...mom and step dad were with us. But we drove the mountains a lot. Epic bike roads.  For example:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/18.1489394,-66.1024243/18.0742547,-66.0542304/@18.1163121,-66.070667,13z

• Upvote 1

The roads I remember there were twisty all right, but narrow & frequented by kazoo exhaust honda civics that like to use rhe whole road.. Runoffs include thousand foot vertical drops into rainforest vegetation. Sounds like fun. Wish I had tbe time & the cash.

On thing that really jumped out at me was the drivers.  If you step off the curb...even jay walking....all the cars stop and wave you across the street. Any where else the drivers would speed up and try and hit you. It was very cool.

We stayed in Old San Juan at the Sheraton right where the cruise ships dock. I found the drivers to be pretty good when we rented the car. They are inconsistent on speed, up and down..love the heck out of the left lane and do merge back over when passing way too close to your front bumper but over all better than most of what I see in the NE mainland.

I lived in Puerto Rico for eight years and never owned a car. I hated driving a car in Puerto Rico. I put over 60,000 miles on the three motorcycles I owned during that time, all on a 100-by-35-mile island. There are endless, super tight, usually bumpy blind-corner mountain roads. Great fun if that's your thing, and I enjoyed it.

My wife is from the island so we go back every year. Unfortunately, it is not easy to rent a motorcycle there. Places come and go out of business. One time I was so desperate for a ride I rented a beat-up Chinese scooter. Got a good story out of it:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/travel-features/a-scootour-of-puerto-rico.htm

Some day when I have some money lying around and can find a place on the island to store it, I think I'll buy a lightweight bike to keep there, just to ride when I visit. I miss it that much.