I think I bricked my note 3.

Gixxus Christ!

What's the benefit of rooting the note3? I'm genuinely curious since it's what I have.

Same as any other android.  You can block ads, you can backup all your stuff easier. You can mod stuff and make it better, better battery, automated tasks with tasker. Remove bloatware. Blocking ads alone is worth the price of admission. But be aware, if you root and mod you have to know how to get it back to stock to get updates. And often updates break the old root methods.

Knew you tried to root when I saw the title of the thread. I hate rooted phones and bricking the phone is not uncommon. I don't want to learn anything about rooting, ROMs, and jail breaking or I might know enough to be dangerous. Already messed up a couple Galaxy LCD's at first until I got good at changing the glass on them.

Well before the lollipop update it was a simple process. Download kingo to a Windows machine and the correct Samsung drivers, enable usb debugging on your device, plug it in, click root and you were done. Its a bit more involved now but my experience shows that it's still pretty easy and safe. My shit works, just had a tight butthole moment for a few hours.

Also there was a security update for kit Kat and lollipop that prevents you from moving files from phone storage to sd card, and also prevents apps from writing to sd card, which makes the card mostly worthless.

would installing the Astro File Manager App enable moving files ? 

Download kingo to a Windows machine and the correct Samsung drivers, enable usb debugging on your device, plug it in, click root and you were done..... My shit works, just had a tight butthole moment for a few hours.

stop telling me how to do that shit, lol..... ya, just read all the posts and saw you got it working, glad to hear.

would installing the Astro File Manager App enable moving files ? stop telling me how to do that shit, lol..... ya, just read all the posts and saw you got it working, glad to hear.

Nope. The security update prevents any app from writing to sd card.

5.0 changed it a bit. A properly written app can write to SD in a way that other apps can get to the files.  So a file manager can move music and your player can play them. But app writers need to get with the new program.

5.0 changed it a bit. A properly written app can write to SD in a way that other apps can get to the files. So a file manager can move music and your player can play them. But app writers need to get with the new program.

Es file explorer wants me to select the root directory of the sd card to grant it permission to write to it and altho I'm doing exactly what it says (storage\external_sd\) it fails to write. Maybe I should root my brand new leased phone?

I just paid it off and got a new phone Friday and am going to use it as a dedicated offline gps\music player for the bike and car. Thought I had a $500 brick for about half the day.

This is what I'm planning on doing with my Note 2 when I get a Note 5 in September (or whenever it comes to Verizon). What offline GPS app do you use/which is best?

I've rooted at least four devices, two of them that had locked boot loaders. Although I've come across the occasional issue, I've never bricked a phone. Bricking a phone is actually pretty hard to do, as long as you follow instructions well.

Now that I've switched to iOS, I'm happy to say Jailbreaking is 1000x easier and the app ecosystem is better. Add a jailbreak to it, and it's the perfect device. But that's just my opinion.