REQUEST: Neck brace reviews?

smccrory

Hey Ohio Riders, do you use a Leatt, Atlas or other brand neck brace while you ride?  What about on the street?  If so, could you share your experiences?

I have three neck vertebrae that don't have much disc left, and even they're bulging into my spinal canal.  I can still ride, and am working up to getting surgery over the winter, but it got me thinking about neck braces as a way to protect my spine from catastrophic failure if I were to go down.  Think of it as additional protection to the helmet.

I'm most attracted to the Atlas Air because it appears lighter and easier to get on an off.  They get good reviews and I've also seen them for as low as $240 with shipping, making them a lot more obtainable than the Leatt lines.  However they seem to be primarily used by dirt riders.  I'd want to use mine for both light dual-sport and also street riding.

What do you think guys?  Would a brace be too much of a hassle to use, even the Atlas Air?  Do they provide enough protection to justify the money?  Do you know anyone else to wear one on the street?

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I bought the Atlas and used it extensively last weekend. I like it! Very light, doesn't restrict my movement in normal use on the road or choppy dirt trails, but looks like it would keep my neck from bending wildly if I hit the ground. Definitely worth the roughly $250 I paid for some peace of mind.