04 Z1000 or 03 yzf-600r

SuperHawk

Looking for a new bike and have about $4-$5k to spend.

Previous bike was a Honda Superhawk 996, which I liked except for the top end power, so I'd like something similar or at least quicker. I've never ridden any other bikes so I have nothing to compare it to...

Found a few on craigslist that sounded interesting...what are people's thoughts?

2004 Kawasaki Z1000, 4k miles, needs a rear tire but otherwise nothing...Asking $4500, is that ok? Is this a fun bike and good around town and good if I want my girl to ride with me some?

Next is a 2003 YZF-600R, 10k miles, $4000, looks nice but same questions as above.

****EDIT - I found some SV650s's for a decent price, all the way from a 2000 with only 800 miles on it for $3k to a 2007 with 2500 miles on it for $5k, what about these bikes?

Thanks guys, if anyone knows of a bike for around $4k for sale, lmk!

The Z1000 is a way cool bike that you dont see a lot of but they had some vibration issues.

Sv650 is cool too but coming fron a super chicken you wont be impressed with the power.

the 600r is overpriced and yesterdays tech.

The Z1000 is a way cool bike that you dont see a lot of but they had some vibration issues.

Sv650 is cool too but coming fron a super chicken you wont be impressed with the power.

the 600r is overpriced and yesterdays tech.

Thanks for the input, can you elaborate on the vibration issues on the Z1000? Are you talking about at certain speeds or just engine vibration through the bars or what?

Yeah I googled it, and found out about it a little more. Apparently some people have had luck filling the handle bars with buckshot? lol Sounds weird. I'll check with MrBret and see if I can't check his out to see, my superhawk vibrated enough for my liking.

Hey dude. I may be a little biased but get the Z1000!!!!!

$4500 for an 04 Z with on 4K is a very good deal. I would expect that to be on e-bay for closer to $5500-6000 in top condition.

Where abouts do you live? I'm up the top end of Westerville.

You can come check mine out by all means, I have some fixes for the vibration to, it is really just in the bars but mine in about 75% better than stock at a cost of about $4.

PM sent also

Hey dude. I may be a little biased but get the Z1000!!!!!

$4500 for an 04 Z with on 4K is a very good deal. I would expect that to be on e-bay for closer to $5500-6000 in top condition.

Where abouts do you live? I'm up the top end of Westerville.

You can come check mine out by all means, I have some fixes for the vibration to, it is really just in the bars but mine in about 75% better than stock at a cost of about $4.

PM sent also

what was your cure for the vibration

probably about as much of "yesterdays tech" as the ninja 250, and that seems to be a pretty decent bike.

That's what I'm wondering.....The 600r that he is looking at is fuel injected, has a fully adjustable suspension, deltabox frame, is pretty damn fast for a first bike.....It's pretty much a tuned down r6 that is race worthy and you can still go long distances on. What's so "yesterday's tech" about that? Because they don't have your wrists in pain and ass in the air going boy racer? Is that it?:confused:

That's what I'm wondering.....The 600r that he is looking at is fuel injected, has a fully adjustable suspension, deltabox frame, is pretty damn fast for a first bike.....It's pretty much a tuned down r6 that is race worthy and you can still go long distances on. What's so "yesterday's tech" about that? Because they don't have your wrists in pain and ass in the air going boy racer? Is that it?:confused:

im guessing by yesterdays tech, he meant "yesterdays looks"

Why? The only thing I can think of is not having digital gauges. Expound on your statement.

The 600r is not the R6 folks. Its Yammies Katana, an old school pig. (If you have one, I apologize, just calling a pig a pig) I didnt think a guy coming off of a superhawk would care much for it. When you are comparing a 600r to a sweet ass 1000cc hoolie (Superchicken or z1000), well, IMO its a no brainer. :dunno:

On top of that, the resale on a 600r is shit, if you can get someone to buy it. Get it cheap enough and rock it. Thats what I did with my old Katana, BUT it was yesterdays tech. Did it serve its purpose? Hell Yes, I loved that pig, but it was no GSXR, and when I sold it, I had to give it away.

And a 2003 600r for $4000? Come on, man. Maybe at half that price. BTW, the last time I checked, the 600r was not fuel injected.

The 600r is not the R6 folks.

i still dont buy that its yesterdays tech. its no race ready rocket, its just an entry level sport bike. are cruisers yesterdays tech because they dont have lap timers?

I didnt think a guy coming off of a superhawk would care much for it.

call an apple an apple then if thats what you mean.

The 600r is not the R6 folks. Its Yammies Katana, an old school pig. (If you have one, I apologize, just calling a pig a pig) I didnt think a guy coming off of a superhawk would care much for it. When you are comparing a 600r to a sweet ass 1000cc hoolie (Superchicken or z1000), well, IMO its a no brainer. :dunno:

On top of that, the resale on a 600r is shit, if you can get someone to buy it. Get it cheap enough and rock it. Thats what I did with my old Katana, BUT it was yesterdays tech. Did it serve its purpose? Hell Yes, I loved that pig, but it was no GSXR, and when I sold it, I had to give it away.

And a 2003 600r for $4000? Come on, man. Maybe at half that price. BTW, the last time I checked, the 600r was not fuel injected.

And by pig you mean......Not so fast you're afraid to ride it? Or maybe you meant not a street legal race bike. My mistake. Oh, and for future reference, good luck finding almost any good condition 03 for under 4 thousand during riding season, let alone an already over priced Yamaha (note the use of "good condition" in that sentence). If he wanted a gsxr, he would be asking for opinions on a gsxr, not a "pig" and a "hoolie". I will give you the carburated comment though.

If you are going to choose between two bikes, I would talk to people who have actually owned those bikes. I can give you my opinions on a busa, but I've never owned one so what relevance is that going to have to the question at hand? I ran a 10.89 in the quarter, I don't have to pay for the insurance of a liter bike, I can keep up with almost any modern day 600, and I can ride incredibly long distances without having to stop every 2 hours. How much more do I really need? If you think that you are going to end up upgrading to a liter bike anyways, and are an experienced rider, I would go for the z1000. What sense is there getting a 600 just to sell it a season down the road for the larger bike? Test ride both, figure out which one suits your needs best, and make an educated decision from there.

And by pig you mean......Not so fast you're afraid to ride it? Or maybe you meant not a street legal race bike. My mistake. Oh, and for future reference, good luck finding almost any good condition 03 for under 4 thousand during riding season, let alone an already over priced Yamaha (note the use of "good condition" in that sentence). If he wanted a gsxr, he would be asking for opinions on a gsxr, not a "pig" and a "hoolie". I will give you the carburated comment though.

If you are going to choose between two bikes, I would talk to people who have actually owned those bikes. I can give you my opinions on a busa, but I've never owned one so what relevance is that going to have to the question at hand? I ran a 10.89 in the quarter, I don't have to pay for the insurance of a liter bike, I can keep up with almost any modern day 600, and I can ride incredibly long distances without having to stop every 2 hours. How much more do I really need? If you think that you are going to end up upgrading to a liter bike anyways, and are an experienced rider, I would go for the z1000. What sense is there getting a 600 just to sell it a season down the road for the larger bike? Test ride both, figure out which one suits your needs best, and make an educated decision from there.

Dude, chill. I take it you dont ride a vespa. OK cool. By pig, I mean HEAVY. Its a heavy bike. I may not have owned one, but I read ALOT of bike mags, reviews, anything bike related that I can get my hands on. As for a 600 vs. 1000, I totaly agree that most street riders dont need anything more than a 600 and insurance is way cheaper. I had a ball on my 500#, 80 horse Katana, some times I wish I still had it. But, after having ridden a 1000 around, he may get bored with the sub 100 HP of a 600R. The Z is the better bike for the $. The guy asked for opinions and thats mine. Thats all I'm sayin.