Nannycam type thingy for real estate showings - easier than I thought

Josh1234

So my wife and I are trying to sell the condo, I hate knowing that people are going through my shit when I'm not around.  Also, I want REAL feedback from prospective buyers, not the one-sentence that the realtor types into the feedback box on the form.

I did some googling last night and found isentry (it's for mac, although I'm sure there are comparable things for PC).

I DL'd it (free, of course), twiddled with settings, and in 5 minutes, it was up and running.

This thing is awesome!  It's basically just motion-activated video software.  I have my laptop on top of my entertainment center with the HDMI cable plugged into the TV, like it's a media computer, but the camera is pointing at the front door.  When someone comes in... Bingo!  It triggers the video to start.  It stops a couple of seconds after when it stops seeing motion.

I set the directory to save the videos as my dropbox folder, so now I can snoop on who's looking at the condo.  I love it!

Oh yeah, I had to remember to turn off power save/sleep mode, and to set the screen to sleep, too.  And I covered up the little telltale green light next to the facetime cam.  For a free program, and 5 minutes of set-up, I'm very pleased with how well it works.  

Anyone else have something like this?

I did a review of a camera called Guardzilla that was ok when I reviewed it and they have made software/app improvements that has made it a bit better. I use it to keep an eye on things when we are away as a supplement to the other security systems we have. It's relatively cheap and easy to use though you cannot access the recorded video remotely, it saves locally on an SD card.

yup, I use TeboCam, 16 inputs, email pic to phone. Pictures, not video. I use a different setup for video. Can also remote all computers at home from another computer or my phone, which means can view live video feed, or view recorded and stored videos.

Edited by ReconRat

my homeowners insurance is phenomenal so the only things I hid or removed from the house were things with sentimental value. I pretty much was thinking steal what you want, less one thing I have to move :dunno:

As far as feedback, the only feedback I cared about was an offer sheet :D

my homeowners insurance is phenomenal so the only things I hid or removed from the house were things with sentimental value. I pretty much was thinking steal what you want, less one thing I have to move :dunno:

As far as feedback, the only feedback I cared about was an offer sheet :D

This! You don't want to hear what people are saying about your hard work and decor.

$ talks. Who cares about the rest.

We are having a really tough time selling our house in Galion right now and an idea was getting direct feedback from potential buyers.  However...  Let's say I did the camera and heard things that I could possibly fix or address.  What then?  You have no way of reaching out to the prospective buyers in any way without going around the realtor. 

And, if you could, you are paying a realtor to do that job and if they are not doing it well enough, you need a new one that does.

I'm not against the idea simply because of the fact that they could give some feedback towards things that CAN be changed for the next potential buyer.  Like those shows where they get feedback from buyers and then change the house and have those people back to review them.  I like that aspect of it...

Isn't recording audio without the knowledge/consent of those being recorded a crime? I think it applies on private property as well but is not quite as black and white...something about whether the people being recorded reasonable expect confidentiality. Be careful with that...as long as no one else knows, you are ok but if someone finds out you could be in deep.

Edited by ScubaCinci

Isn't recording audio without the knowledge/consent of those being recorded a crime? I think it applies on private property as well but is not quite as black and white...something about whether the people being recorded reasonable expect confidentiality. Be careful with that...as long as no one else knows, you are ok but if someone finds out you could be in deep.

I understand what you're saying, but it's my own home!  Even if you're a private citizen, if you want confidentiality, don't go into someone else's house :p

Although I guess my condo technically has cameras on the front gate, and here and there, and there ARE notices up on the little house near the gate saying the premises are monitored, so maybe that covers me :)

I was about to bring up the same issue as Scuba above.  Consult with an attorney before filming people without their knowledge - even in your own home. 

Our contract with the real estate agency probably forbid such conduct as well.

I will be the first to say that we got lucky with how quickly our house sold (on the market 4 days), but it wasn't a total accident.   We had a stager come through the house and give us feedback on things buyers want to see, and what they don't want to see.   She gave us 10 pages of notes.  We moved some furniture around, re-painted a few things, removed a lot of stuff from closets, and put a few pieces of furniture in the garage to open up space.  Then we had a professional photographer do the listing photos.

I can't say that those things are why our house sold quickly, but they certainly helped.