School me on subarus

Gixxus Christ!

Speaking on behalf of my '08 & '01 Outbacks, they've both been decent cars.   Great winter cars, although in my opinion, not optimum for long distance travel (OH to MA or FL).   They get mediocre gas mileage and are a bit noisy inside.

I've had the '08 for going on 3 years.    It's at 160k miles and is, I'm sure, overdue for a timing belt.   The steering rack leaks a bit on the exhaust and stinks of burning oil when sitting still.   Also, every exhaust heat shield rattles at different RPM's.   When I stop being lazy and replace the steering rack and timing belt, I'll deal with the heat shields.

I bought the '01 a year ago for my teen daughter and did the timing belt right away (@140k miles).     Other than a recent round of expensive diagnostics to find a bad air/fuel ratio sensor, the car has been maintenance free.

I've been told the 2.5 SOHC is a tough engine and will give 200k trouble free miles.   Let's hope that is the case because with 4 years of college tuition staring me in the face, I'm hoping to not buy any new cars in the near future.

I'll also add for those looking at replacing a timing belt on a Subaru, it's a piece of cake on the SOHC engine.    The hardest part is loosening the crank pulley bolt.

I'm on Subaru #8, and have owned damn near every variety they offer. My current ride is a 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited, and I fucking love it. For the foreseeable future, I'll not even consider another brand of automobile.

As far as what to look for a whatnot, Isaac's Papa has hit the nail on the head.

Good luck with your search!

• Upvote 1

I'm on Subaru #8, and have owned damn near every variety they offer. My current ride is a 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited, and I fucking love it. For the foreseeable future, I'll not even consider another brand of automobile.

As far as what to look for a whatnot, Isaac's Papa has hit the nail on the head.

Good luck with your search!

Can't even find a used 6 cyl legacy.

CSC, here's a copy and paste from my for sale ad on a local Subaru forum:

2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited, NAV, Sunrrof. Every option you could get in 2013 EXCEPT Eyesight.

Twilight Blue Metallic, Dark Interior.

Not quite 27k miles on it, but increasing slightly as it's my daily driver.

It has the following items installed:

Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra since day one. Full front bumper, partial hood and front fenders, side mirrors. Installation done at Esoteric Detail. Top notch work!

20% Llumar Ceramic Tint done by Performance Auto Spa, all windows, no front strip added.

Rear spoiler, factory painted.

Body Side Molding Kit, factory painted and installed.

Rear bumper applique.

Subaru Remote Engine Start.

Subaru Splash Guards.

WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners Front and Rear, plus Trunk.

Also includes never used Subaru All Weather floor mats and Subaru carpeted floor mats, front and rear.

Subaru Lighted Door Sills.

Subaru Puddle Lights.

Subaru Floor Lights.

Subaru Lighted Cup Holders.

DBA T2 Street Series Slotted Rotors front and rear, Carbotech 1521 Brake Pads front and rear, Ate Super Blue brake fluid. Installed at 11k miles. HUGE increase in brake feel, and zero fade when driven hard.

Subaru OEM 19mm Rear Sway Bar Upgrade.

Two sets of wheels, both sets complete with OEM Subaru TPMS sensors.

Summer(as pictured) 18" Subaru Legacy Sport wheels with 225/50ZR18 95W Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Wheels are perfect, zero rash, installed mid summer last year, ran until the end of November 2014, taken off for this past winter, re-installed April 1st, 2015. Approx 8k miles on the tires at present.

Winter 17" OEM Subaru Legacy 3.6R wheels with 225/55R17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3. Less than 5k miles, driven from December 2014 through March 2015. Wheels are perfect, zero rash.

Maintenance Performed:

Oil changes have always been Redline 5W30 with OEM filter. First change at 1k miles, second at 4k miles, and every 5k miles since.

AFE Power Magnum Flow Pro 5R Dry Air Filter. MAF was cleaned when filter was installed, 19k miles, November 2014.

Fram Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter installed at 19k miles, November 2014.

Front and rear diff fluid drain and refill done at 19k miles, November 2014, Motul Gear 300.

5EAT transmission drain and refill of approx. 4.5 quarts done at 19k miles, Motul Multi ATF.

See brake upgrade above for brake fluid complete flush at 11k miles.

Power steering fluid and engine coolant is stock fill, and looks fine.

Alignment done less than 500 miles ago when swapping to summer wheels/tires. Zero Toe front and rear, front camber -1.4 degrees both side. Rear camber and front Castor all in spec. Car drive fantastic!

Subaru Added Security Gold Plus 7yr/70k miles $50 Deductible included! I'll pay the transfer fee if applicable.

All books, keys, fobs, tools, and original window sticker included.

Anyone who know me knows I take care of my stuff. This car is no exception. I purchased it new, it's never been in an accident, zero paint work, and it's been obsessively over maintained. The interior looks new, the exterior looks almost new, and not a single thing needs attention. This isn't the "used car that needs everything done to it." I'd go so far as to say you'll not find a cleaner, better optioned, better maintained used Legacy 3.6R anywhere. Test drives for serious buyers are more than welcome. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

$24,000 firm.

• Upvote 1

CSC, here's a copy and paste from my for sale ad on a local Subaru forum:

2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited, NAV, Sunrrof. Every option you could get in 2013 EXCEPT Eyesight.

Twilight Blue Metallic, Dark Interior.

Not quite 27k miles on it, but increasing slightly as it's my daily driver.

It has the following items installed:

Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra since day one. Full front bumper, partial hood and front fenders, side mirrors. Installation done at Esoteric Detail. Top notch work!

20% Llumar Ceramic Tint done by Performance Auto Spa, all windows, no front strip added.

Rear spoiler, factory painted.

Body Side Molding Kit, factory painted and installed.

Rear bumper applique.

Subaru Remote Engine Start.

Subaru Splash Guards.

WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners Front and Rear, plus Trunk.

Also includes never used Subaru All Weather floor mats and Subaru carpeted floor mats, front and rear.

Subaru Lighted Door Sills.

Subaru Puddle Lights.

Subaru Floor Lights.

Subaru Lighted Cup Holders.

DBA T2 Street Series Slotted Rotors front and rear, Carbotech 1521 Brake Pads front and rear, Ate Super Blue brake fluid. Installed at 11k miles. HUGE increase in brake feel, and zero fade when driven hard.

Subaru OEM 19mm Rear Sway Bar Upgrade.

Two sets of wheels, both sets complete with OEM Subaru TPMS sensors.

Summer(as pictured) 18" Subaru Legacy Sport wheels with 225/50ZR18 95W Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Wheels are perfect, zero rash, installed mid summer last year, ran until the end of November 2014, taken off for this past winter, re-installed April 1st, 2015. Approx 8k miles on the tires at present.

Winter 17" OEM Subaru Legacy 3.6R wheels with 225/55R17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3. Less than 5k miles, driven from December 2014 through March 2015. Wheels are perfect, zero rash.

Maintenance Performed:

Oil changes have always been Redline 5W30 with OEM filter. First change at 1k miles, second at 4k miles, and every 5k miles since.

AFE Power Magnum Flow Pro 5R Dry Air Filter. MAF was cleaned when filter was installed, 19k miles, November 2014.

Fram Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter installed at 19k miles, November 2014.

Front and rear diff fluid drain and refill done at 19k miles, November 2014, Motul Gear 300.

5EAT transmission drain and refill of approx. 4.5 quarts done at 19k miles, Motul Multi ATF.

See brake upgrade above for brake fluid complete flush at 11k miles.

Power steering fluid and engine coolant is stock fill, and looks fine.

Alignment done less than 500 miles ago when swapping to summer wheels/tires. Zero Toe front and rear, front camber -1.4 degrees both side. Rear camber and front Castor all in spec. Car drive fantastic!

Subaru Added Security Gold Plus 7yr/70k miles $50 Deductible included! I'll pay the transfer fee if applicable.

All books, keys, fobs, tools, and original window sticker included.

Anyone who know me knows I take care of my stuff. This car is no exception. I purchased it new, it's never been in an accident, zero paint work, and it's been obsessively over maintained. The interior looks new, the exterior looks almost new, and not a single thing needs attention. This isn't the "used car that needs everything done to it." I'd go so far as to say you'll not find a cleaner, better optioned, better maintained used Legacy 3.6R anywhere. Test drives for serious buyers are more than welcome. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

$24,000 firm.

That's 3x my budget and as much as we paid for my wife's 2015 legacy 2.5 brand new

They completely redesigned the legacy between 14 and 15. I drove both and prefer the 15. Then again, I didn't drive a 6 cyl and I'm sure it's plenty more fun than the 4. As far as options go, our 15 is the 2nd to highest trim level and is pretty well-appointed. I didn't read your mile-long description because = work.

Commuter and beer runs?

Slap winter tires on the front of this....I have a 2000 Chevy prism 4 door for sale. A.K.A. Toyota Corolla. 163000 miles. 4 banger with a chain, not a belt. 5 speed. $2300 Bastard gets 36-40mpg. Fixed everything for my daughter but she refused it. Super clean inside. Ac is cold. New tires, sway bar links, dash lights, inner door handles (normal issue), new front O2 sensor and exhaust gasket on the down pipe to manifold.

Edited by Gump

I already have an 07 sentra with 110k on the clock. I'm not sure if I wasn't clear with my original post but I want a Subaru as a daily driver. My plan is to sell or trade my sentra and put a few thousand with it to upgrade my daily driver to something with awd that still gets decent mileage.

My only experience with subaru's is that my wife owns a 2013 wrx that she sometimes lets me borrow. 35 k on the odometer & nary an issue (of course). The Subaru all wheel drive system is top notch. You can drive the car in the snow like you would a regular car in the dry (her car does have dedicated snow tires in the winter). I definitely wouldn't buy a used wrx off the average owner though. They seem to be mostly young squids without motorcycles. Hope you find a Subaru to your liking.

gonna be some cheap VW's soon. waiting for the "please please please help us recover the $27 billion we lost to our stock price plummeting and multiple governments fining our *cough*illegal*cough* activities" sales.

VW diesel deal will be interesting. I heard if you have one it may or may not be a mandatory recall.if they de-tune its going to suck. If they add urea it takes up the space of the spare tire, if you don't opt out of the multiple class action lawsuits you might get $30, if you do opt out you could sue later for the loss of value to your car..maybe, these are all maybes.