Stack-on "tactical" cabinet

redkow97

Holds 16 rifles or fewer, and a bunch of other cool shit.

I just bought mine from Walmart today. I wouldn't be bragging about a cabinet normally, but this thing is a STEAL at $102 from Walmart. It retails for $299 and the cheapest I could find it elsewhere was $178.

http://c2.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/16527-en_us/493246/photo.jpg

Mine arrives next week, but I won't unpack and assemble it until we move. At 100 lbs., it's higher gauge steel than the cheap cabinets, and it's a 3-point locking system rather than 2-point.

For a hundred bucks, I am thrilled. Plus now I have room to hide things from the wife and pretend I bought them years ago.

Edited by redkow97

mine shipped today, so I got it before it was out of stock.  I'm reading the reviews, and people either love it or completely dismiss it.  The biggest criticism has (predictably) been that it's just a flimsy steel cabinet that a 'real' thief will be emptying within 5 minutes.

That's probably true, if he's got the proper tools, so I'm going to (try) to make a point of locking up the tools I own that I would use to perform such a task.  I have a heavy steel cabinet in my garage that will work well for this task (not large enough for rifles).  I only plan to throw a cheap combo lock on the tool cabinet, but it should force a would-be thief to at least bring his own tools to my house if he wants to get into the gun cabinet.

The gun cabinet itself will be secured to the wall-studs.  I haven't decided how many screws I will use, but they will be long enough that they're deep in the studs, and I'll have some in the back, and some in the side.  I'll drill additional holes if i have to.  That should be enough to make me feel good about it.   I'm not sure if it will go in our walk-in closet, or in the guest room.   I like the accessibility of having it in our bedroom, but I also like the idea of my wife forgetting it exists.  Once we're settled, I'll be in the market for a shotgun, and possibly a 9mm carbine.

I'm really hung-up on keeping the number of calibers I stock to a minimum, so 9mm carbine and 9mm handguns, then the 22 rifle, and a 22 handgun, then some type of shotgun; presumably 12 gauge, but I wouldn't write off the notion of a 20 gauge, or even a 410 if the right deal presents itself.

You need something like a .223 or .308 to round out the collection. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I have thought about adding a higher powered rifle to the collection at some point, but I know almost nothing about hunting rules and restrictions...  Then again, if it's really an end-of-civilization scenario, no one's going to be policing the restrictions.

Would a 9mm carbine take down a deer?   This will be an unpopular thing to post, but I like the Hi-Point 995 carbine.  The price is so cheap for what you get, and I'm not looking for it to be a show piece.  It would do exactly what I want:  take rounds I already stock for my pistol, and be easier to aim at distances.  I can't foresee any scenario where I would need it to be accurate beyond 100 yards.

Here ya go on what can be used.

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season

Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition).

Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.

Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

I hate how safes are defined as xx gun safe. I have a stack on 8 gun "safe" and I can barely fit the 3 I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, i figured "16 is way more than I need, but i have other 'stuff' I'd like to put in there."  Ammo.  a little cash.  My grandfather's retirement watch (nothing valuable, but it means something to me).

as of 7:48 this morning, the cabinet is ready for pick up.   I will get it after work tonight, and then leave it in the car until we move on Saturday.  Realistically, I won't get it together until Sunday :(

I want to put it together tonight, but i think leaving it packaged for the move will be smarter, and this way I can decide where I want to install it permanently from day one.  It is larger than I had pictured.  55" high, and about the width of the 'fridge' half of a side-by-side refrigerator, which may push it out of the master bedroom closet.   Having it hidden away in our office/guest room may be more secure and keep it off my wife's mind anyway. 

the alternative is to keep it in the basement.  That would definitely keep it off the missus' radar, but it creates accessibility issues in an emergency situation...  I'm a little torn.

I would discourage the basement idea.  If  you ever have water issues your collection is in jeopardy.  I had a sump pump go out last year which made a huge mess.

Yeah, that occurred to me.  I was thinking I would build a platform to stand it on and put it a foot off the floor, but even just the humidity down there makes me nervous right now.  Guest room is the front-runner if the wife poo-poo's our walk-in closet.  But then I have another issue when we have a second kid, and the guest room becomes a kid's room.

I'll figure out something.  just have to know which room is going to stay a kid's room forever, and which room will stay an office forever.