Stack-on "tactical" cabinet

redkow97

Finally got the cabinet unpacked, but not fully set up.

Initial impressions were positive.  Unlike several online reviewers, none of my panels were dented, and my cabinet had keys taped to the top.  All the hardware for shelving, butt rests, and barrel rests were either bagged or included in an envelope.  It also includes padding for each of the shelves, and the floor in various configurations.

As much as I would like to have the cabinet in my bedroom, I don't need it to be so easy for a thief to find, nor do i need my wife seeing it every day and reminding her that it exists.  The guest room is where the cabinet will live for now.   It fits perfectly into a hidden portion of a closet that is wider than the door of the closet suggests (picture 5' folding doors, but the closet bar continues beyond the door another 5')  If I hang up my race suit or anything else close to floor-length, someone probably wouldn't even notice the cabinet.

So that's all good.

The bad:  the door is 'loose' even when locked.  Perhaps this is an issue for all 'storage' cabinets that aren't safes, but I thought it would feel more solid. 

It's also not 90 lbs. as advertised.  Either that, or I'm fucking jacked.  I carried it up a flight of stairs myself, and while it wasn't easy, it wasn't that hard either.  I just had to walk up backward to keep my knees from hitting the cabinet.  I'll pop the molding off the interior walls of the closet so it sits flush with the wall.  Hardware is included to mount the cabinet through the back (near the top) and also through the floor.   I will do that before installing any shelving, etc.

I'll also probably drill a couple more holes and fit it firmly into a corner.  I don't intend to drill through the carpet, into the floor, but I may convince myself otherwise if the wall studs don't feel solid enough to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the cabinet all set up and anchored to the wall studs.  A few criticisms:

- there are 2 partitions that divide the cabinet into 3 sections.  You can leave these out if you choose, but I wanted shelving, etc.  The partitions themselves are bolted through the bottom of the cabinet, and the shelves in the outer sections are secured through the wall of the cabinet.  This means that I'm now (almost) completely married to my shelving arrangement, because I can't access the sides of my cabinet the way it sits in my closet.  I CAN adjust the single shelf I installed in teh center section, and move the barrel rests for the "tactical" rifles up and down.

- the barrel rests are too high.  I currently only have 1 long gun in the cabinet.  I believe it has a 22" barrel.  I will need to stack something under it to get the barrel to sit securely on the rest.

Otherwise I really like it.  The setup comes with foam inserts for all the shelves, so my handgun and magazines are never going to scratch or be scratched on the metal shelving surfaces.   There is room for a handgun rack on the top shelf, and probably room on the side-shelves for more handguns (although I'm filling those with ammo for now)

The cabinet has pre-drilled holes for mounting to 16" on-center wall studs, but again, I put this in a closet where I had about 2" of wiggle room.  As a result, I drilled 2 small holes and put both lag bolts into the same vertical stud near the top of the cabinet.  I dropped 2 additional lag bolts through the floor of the cabinet (as designed) in the rear corners.  It feels secure enough for what it is.

In the future, I think I will eventually buy a safe, and use this cabinet purely for ammo storage.  A coworker suggested that when he was talking about his setup - he keeps ammo in his old 10-rifle cabinet, and then keeps the guns in a 16 gun SAFE that he purchased as an upgrade.   In his mind, his kids (or a thief) have to break into 2 separate containers to operate any weapon. I like the logic.

Next purchase will be:  small battery-powered lighting for the cabinet.

Then, fill it up :)

Shotgun, 22lr pistol of some sort, 9mm carbine, and maybe a larger 9mm handgun.  I also need a pellet gun.  Still really liking the idea of sticking to 2 calibers and 1 shotgun gauge for ease and expense of stocking ammo. 

Next purchase will be:  small battery-powered lighting for the cabinet.

woot constantly has cabinet LED lights on sale cheap that would do the trick. I bought a few last time they had them for a closet in the new house that doesn't have a light in it