FZ07 running like crap.

Wojo72

I took the FZ07 out for a quick run today.   The bike starts and idles fine but is way down on power.  The bike won't pull past 6k in any gear. The gas is only a couple of weeks old.  Not sure to start on troubleshooting.  I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

The 1 year warranty ran out in Nov.  I declined the extended warranty.  I have been talking about trading it in on an FZ09 or GSX-1000s.  Maybe this is my sign.  LMAO

2015 model, you buy it new? Take her into the dealer for them to sort

I agree with the idea of checking the air box first.

This same thing happened to me a few years ago. Bike wouldn't rev above 5,000 but idled fine. My clue was that in a pinch I had put in some old gas from a can not long before. There was debris in that gas and it clogged the filter on the fuel pump. Basically, the fuel pump could not flow enough fuel to run above 5,000 rpm. Changed the filter and it ran like new.

I'm no mechanic, but that's just another thing to consider.

Edited by motociclista

"Did you reboot?" - IT support guy

Diconnect the battery for a minute incase ECU is confused by non freezing december temperatures or any other yamaha software glitch.

Wearing thicker gloves that increase the throttle tube radius?

What and when was the last maintenance change to it?

My VFR Auction buy-actually ran fine but told me I should have  checked everything before firing it up anyway.

14005460316_db1585c224_n.jpg

I am sad to say that I had critters in my box.   The air filter was filled with bird seed.  I was amazed how much those little bastards stashed in there.  I'm guessing that it was about 1/2 full.  The pleats are still full of the stuff so I'm trying to track down a replacement filter before I put it all back together.  Nobody locally has one in stock.

filter material isn't all that different. I've bought clearance car filters ,chopped and siliconed it into the old frame with enough left for a 2nd one.

Time for a pet cat before they chew your wiring. I'd spray it down to remove scent trails. Is it under cover or a garage. Neighbors have open garbage nearby?

The bike had only been sitting for 2-3 weeks but it is possible that they had been in there prior to that time.  I'm curious to see if the bike feels any faster once the new filter goes in. 

I have seen them build over night...they are quite efficient at finding a spot and moving in.

Wow Bob, that's freakish.  I'll be sure to check mine too before next ride, just to be sure.  Glad you found such an easy to fix issue!  I had this with a '76 CB125S I rehabilitated but never with a modern bike that only sat for a few weeks.