WTB Moped

whaler

My boy is looking for a moped and needs to stay at or below $500.

Year not much concern.

Tomos is preferred because they have not changed in 30 years and parts are plentiful, but anything in good condition will do.

Keep I'm mind the legal definition of moped and these 50cc scooters that are out there are not the same thing.

If you're looking for a youngster to be legal on the road.

Edited by 2talltim

Depends on the scooter. Honda Metropolitan II is a moped by legal definition. It's governed to not exceed a certain MPH.

I believe by legal definition it has to have pedals http://bmv.ohio.gov/moped_info.stm 

What is a Moped?

Just because something looks like a moped, doesn't guarantee it is one in the eyes of the law. Only the Ohio Department of Public Safety can certify which vehicles meet state standards. You should not accept anyone else's statement that a vehicle is a moped.

The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled. The tires shall have an inflated width size of 1.75 inches (4.45 centimeters) minimum and shall have an overall inflated diameter of 19 inches (48.26 centimeters) minimum when mounted to the rim or wheel. The moped should be equipped with a helper motor too. The helper motor may not:

• have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
      • produce more than one brake horsepower; and
      • propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 614-752-7518, if you have questions.

Edited by 2talltim

Thanks for the information, and yes we are sticking to the Ohio approved moped list.

Had an Indian AMI-50 when I was 14-15 and loved it. Was a the only four stroke of its kind and was faster than all of my friends two smokers.

Looking at a mint 80 Indian tomorrow as well as a Honda PA50 II. The Honda shares a lot with its scooter brothers of the day (Spree and Elite) so parts are abundant and there is an aftermarket with expansion chambers and the like.

My son ( 18 now ) spent a summer riding this around. I bought it for $65 at a auction. My other boys are 9 and 10 so I am keeping it for then. ( sorry ) I was riding it right after I bought it and the local PD ran my plate. I am sure my fat ass on a moped going 25mph on a 50 mph road was the reason. The 2 speed is a nice option. 

0523122021a.jpg

Edited by alansz400

My son ( 18 now ) spent a summer riding this around. I bought it for $65 at a auction. My other boys are 9 and 10 so I am keeping it for then. ( sorry ) I was riding it right after I bought it and the local PD ran my plate. I am sure my fat ass on a moped going 25mph on a 50 mph road was the reason. The 2 speed is a nice option.

0523122021a.jpg

Nice