removing car wax..

Benyen Soljax

Take this for what it's worth...

My old neighbor used a rag soaked in kerosene on his silverado. He said it removed the wax build up and wasn't harmful to the paint.

...I'm not sure I would try it...but i saw him do in on more than one occasion and his truck looked nice.

Like Zorro said...I "think" kerosene is ok - at least for autos. I've been doing a lot of traveling for work lately regarding evaluation of paint suppliers and I just happened to get ahold of the OEM paint specs for GM, Ford, and Chrysler. The specs show what tests the OEs run on the paint (xenon lamps, gasoline, ASTM chemicals, etc) and what the paint performance should be. I think kerosene was on that list.

I'll read through the specs again tomorrow at work and let you know what the pass-car OEs do for paint -- whether that applies to Yamahas, you're on your own there.

Careful with the kerosene. My dad used to paint cars, had this older black gentleman he repainted his Lincoln for. Car was AMAZING, most beautiful old Lincoln you'd ever seen, not "gangsah" nice, but genuinely WOW, thats a nice old Lincoln" nice. Well about 2 weeks after my dad painted it, the guy came back to the shop. Mouldings were falling off... My dad was like WTF, but since he repainted the car, and replaced the moldings, he replaced them. this happened about 2 or 3 more times my dad couldn't understand. He's used 3M moldings forever, still does. they got to talking, specifically about the car, since it WAS the cleanest Lincoln my dad had ever seen, no bondo, no rust, nothing. PERFECT. Turns out the old guy washed the car with Kerosene... and it melted the adhesive. Was the last time my dad replaced the moldings for free :lol:

GM Spec test - "Chemicals to be determined" the only certain is gasoline.

Ford Spec tests - "Deionized Water, Liquid Soap, Windshield Solution, Coolant, Motor oil, Tar and Road oil remover" - required to have no color change, but permanent paint softening is permitted. Additionally, gasoline.

Chrysler spec tests - "Hydrocholric, Nitric, Sufuric acid diluted solution (simulated acid rain), Bee pollen, Anti-freeze, brake fluid, gasoline, oil, suntan lotion (interior coatings only), transmission fluid, Windex glass cleaner, windshield wiper solvent. Fuels to be tested include: Unleaded gasoline, M-15, M-30, M-85, Gasohol, OG, and OSG."

So, kerosene isn't tested unless it's covered under the M-xx materials from Chrysler. Just goes to show that all OEs don't test equally, yet most paint suppliers will paint using automotive grade paint which meets all the stringent requirements of all the OEs.

Bottom line appears to be a no for kerosene. Just stick with normal soap and water cleaners -- and your toothbrush.

GM Spec test - "Chemicals to be determined" the only certain is gasoline.

Ford Spec tests - "Deionized Water, Liquid Soap, Windshield Solution, Coolant, Motor oil, Tar and Road oil remover" - required to have no color change, but permanent paint softening is permitted. Additionally, gasoline.

Chrysler spec tests - "Hydrocholric, Nitric, Sufuric acid diluted solution (simulated acid rain), Bee pollen, Anti-freeze, brake fluid, gasoline, oil, suntan lotion (interior coatings only), transmission fluid, Windex glass cleaner, windshield wiper solvent. Fuels to be tested include: Unleaded gasoline, M-15, M-30, M-85, Gasohol, OG, and OSG."

So, kerosene isn't tested unless it's covered under the M-xx materials from Chrysler. Just goes to show that all OEs don't test equally, yet most paint suppliers will paint using automotive grade paint which meets all the stringent requirements of all the OEs.

Bottom line appears to be a no for kerosene. Just stick with normal soap and water cleaners -- and your toothbrush.

correction, my roomates toothbrush.

ok ben I have called a couple of my painter friends say the absolutely best way to remove dried on wax is with urine, so I will see you in 8 hours, I have been drinking tons of mountain dew

dont get pulled over. youre going to have to be doing triple digits to get here in 8. and i dont want you stopping at a rest stop! theres a lot of wax on there..