Cyclometer recommendations?

Casper

I have a Garmin Edge 705 and it is over kill, I have used the mapping function once in 8 years, while on the bike (Lost in California) the Garmin Edge 500 ($180) doesn't have mapping and is the way to go. The 500 tracks any metric you want; time of day, distance, HR, average speed, MPH, cadence, grade, ride time and many other metrics. Download the Garmin 500 to your computer and see all the rides you have ever done with maps displaying the ride, with all the data tracked, drop you mouse over any area on the map and see all the data at that point of the ride. Also using the Garmin app you can see other riders, and comparison like Strava, although I don't use that function.

21 minutes ago, Casper said:

I mainly want the cadence and heart rate functions. I don't really care about GPS or anything like that. 

Cateye or Bontrager. Cateye is the long time standard, Bontrager are the new and up comming and are probably in the lead these days.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Cateye or Bontrager. Cateye is the long time standard, Bontrager are the new and up comming and are probably in the lead these days.

Cateye's stuff gets crappy reviews anymore. They used to be awesome. I have a VDO currently that's great but doesn't do cadence or HR. 

Originally got a Garmin as a gift and thought the GPS as more of a gimic. However with use I like it more and more.

Thier new cadence sensor is really simple to install. 

The Edge 25 supports HRM cadence and will automatically sync to your phone. Plus it will display your phones notifications while you are riding. The nice thing about GPS base computers is no sensor is needed for speed/distance, so you can transfer the computer between different bikes and dont have to worry about setting up the wheel size.

Sites like Strava are nice to compare your rides to previous ones or to others who have ridden the same segments. For me trying to improve my time or move from 25th to 20th on a hill climb is extra motivation to push harder.

I seldom use the route guidance feature but it is nice to help you follow a route in unfamiliar areas or to make sure you keep on track when on an organized ride. Much easier than a que sheet.

Craig