Who wants to tune my carbs?

JackImpact

2 minutes ago, wolfeman28 said:

The lever should be flipped up, so the plunger(brass) goes down. That would be the off position on both carbs.

The slide height adjustment is on the other side of the carb. If you go to the other carb on the left side of the bike, you should see it on that one. Its a knob directly in the center. That right side carb will be a PITA to get to. You can actually modify the carb to move the slide height adjuster to the other side to make it easy to get to, but I do believe you need to order a different slide to accommodate it. I have it circled below.

The adjustment on the top of the carb is used to eliminate slack in the cable. It should not be used to set idle. Once you get teh idle on both carbs proper, you adjust those top things to get the carbs to open at exactly the same time. We will get there :)

VMsync.jpg

Thank you. That is where I was confused. So bring all 4 screws (2 for the air, 2 with the spring, then bring them slightly out. 

1 minute ago, wolfeman28 said:

That is the slide height adjustment for idle. That's what I'm referring to. Set them equal on both sides till they are barely showing the slide as open

So with the air filters off, I will be able to physically see where they are?

Yes with the filters off, you should be able to see the slide bottom. Give the throttle a pull to see whats going on in there, you'll figure it out.

9 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

Thank you. That is where I was confused. So bring all 4 screws (2 for the air, 2 with the spring, then bring them slightly out. 

Well, kinda. Worry about each carbs air screw first(the one close to the air inlet). turn them clockwise on both carbs until they barely bottom out. Then move each one 1/2 turn counterclockwise as a starting point (That's the richest position on them, safer to start there).

Then adjust each carbs slide height to equal. Do it visually, or use a sewing needle or a long nail to 'gauge' them the same.

Then try starting it. If it revs to the moon, you have the slides too high. If it won't start at all, they are too low. I haven't messed with VM's in a while, but I'm pretty sure the idle slide height is a very small range and easier to deal with.

Edited by wolfeman28

7 minutes ago, wolfeman28 said:

Yes with the filters off, you should be able to see the slide bottom. Give the throttle a pull to see whats going on in there, you'll figure it out.

Well, kinda. Worry about each carbs air screw first(the one close to the air inlet). turn them clockwise on both carbs until they barely bottom out. Then move each one 1/2 turn counterclockwise as a starting point (That's the richest position on them, safer to start there).

Then adjust each carbs slide height to equal. Do it visually, or use a sewing needle or a long nail to 'gauge' them the same.

Then try starting it. If it revs to the moon, you have the slides too high. If it won't start at all, they are too low. I haven't messed with VM's in a while, but I'm pretty sure the idle slide height is a very small range and easier to deal with.

Heading to garage now. Air filters off correct?

Want me to drive down with my wideband when you are free this week? Just pay for my gas. We can install some nipples on the carbs for a synch tool as well.

That way you can get them proper at idle, then we can at least use the wideband to do a WOT run and see if your main jets are the right size. Based off of the numbers it shows, you can order a new set of mains if need be, and be done with it.

Much easier than doing plug chops to figure out if you are rich or lean.

Edited by wolfeman28

Want me to drive down with my wideband when you are free this week? Just pay for my gas. We can install some nipples on the carbs for a synch tool as well.

That way you can get them proper at idle, then we can at least use the wideband to do a WOT run and see if your main jets are the right size. Based off of the numbers it shows, you can order a new set of mains if need be, and be done with it.

I am off Saturday and work from home, so Sundays are pretty EASY as well. What kinda beer do you drink?

Any thing that's not dark :)
Just name the day and time, I'm free every day.

If you wanna come down Saturday thats the full day off for me. Sunday works as well. 

• 2 weeks later...