Step 0: Spectating

hiro

Eventually I'd like to get on the track for street skill development. Parking lots, round-abouts, and a few curvy roads only go so far. I figure I should get out to Mid-Ohio and start with some spectating. Question is, do I just show up on a track day? Is there an entrance fee? When is the best time to go?

Beyond that there's the issue of not having a suit. Is a two-piece textile set reasonable at noob speed, or would it only be as protective as riding in really nice underwear?

• Upvote 1

your question  didn't get separated to well... if you want to go up to mid ohio on a track day to spectate... its  free just have to sign a waiver at the gate saying you wont  go on track.. then you can walk around the pits  see what people are doing  even as people questions (assuming you being nice and they are too) most people like helping new people... then you can  walk around the track in approved areas and see how the 3 groups are riding...

as far as  RIDING at at track day yes there is a Fee  depending on how early you sign up before the event...  around 190 to 220ish I believe for the full day, you can sign up online or on call  mid ohio and sign up that way.. you  HAVE  to start in novice class.. this is for  yours and everyone elses safety as you learn the ropes.. it will include  class room time and  riding time... 20 mins every hr from 9am to 5 pm with lunch break...  coaches will instruct you in the class room as well as   what your doing on track

last I checked a 2 piece textile  was acceptable with a 3/4 waist zipper but I would check with them on that to be sure. Leather is preferred of course.. other requirements include a full face non modular helmet,  gauntlet gloves and over the ankle boots for novice.

• Upvote 1

Are there classroom sessions throughout the day, or is it just in the morning?

My FG-17 helmet is Snell approved. I have Alpinestars Ridge boots. (Nice in cooler weather.) My EVS Cyclone gauntlets are bulky, insulated, and maybe a little big for me. My textile jacket has a 7.5" long zipper in the back attached with some stretchy fabric. (Probably worthless.)

AlpinestarsRidgeWPBoots_Boot-Right-Side-

evs_cyclone_street_glove_black.jpg

3 minutes ago, J_Copeland said:

If you go to Mid-Ohio,which I would definitely recommend.

Put yourself in a slow group of Novice at first.

My novice group was running very fast 2nd session out.

That would be my plan. Slowest of the slow at first. How fast was your group? Are there any other tracks that are fairly close?

I want to send my son to the driving class that Mid-Ohio offers.

no small displacement groups...  just go in the slowest group and see how it works out.. PLENTY of people  run 300s and have a blast..

if you textile  2 piece only attaches in the back with a zipper about 12-16 inches long   and  nothing  on the sides and front that will not cut it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

no small displacement groups...  just go in the slowest group and see how it works out.. PLENTY of people  run 300s and have a blast..

if you textile  2 piece only attaches in the back with a zipper about 12-16 inches long   and  nothing  on the sides and front that will not cut it

Thanks. Meeting the standards only protects me more and keeps the red stuff off the pavement. ^_^ When I low-sided at low speed on the street, my jacket didn't even seem to protect my elbow that well. I think the armour slips down too low. Forearm and shoulder were fine.

Come down to mid-o....show up by 8:30 and make the riders meeting to get a feel of how a day goes.  Tons of places to spectate and when you get tired of running around, come hang in the pits and bs with the riders.  

leather 1 pc is the way to go.  Keep an eye out for used suits, some are not that pretty, but as long as there are no holes, stitching is in good shape and the thing fits....thats all that really matters IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Are there classroom sessions throughout the day, or is it just in the morning?

My FG-17 helmet is Snell approved. I have Alpinestars Ridge boots. (Nice in cooler weather.) My EVS Cyclone gauntlets are bulky, insulated, and maybe a little big for me. My textile jacket has a 7.5" long zipper in the back attached with some stretchy fabric. (Probably worthless.)

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jafrum.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2FAlpinestarsRidgeWPBoots_Boot-Right-Side-View.jpg&key=be82ab83dd58d87eaca8fe593fcf9f6845216b2f094cae047b1ce1eaa3d0eade

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fimages1.revzilla.com%2Fproduct_images%2F0171%2F6398%2Fevs_cyclone_street_glove_black.jpg&key=2359ffa771102d6e3ff2856c9bb47fe2887e046c9437b0ce18be3ce24d5affbd

I love those gloves I have 2 pair. They are my go to cool weather gloves. Talking g street not track though

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

I love those gloves I have 2 pair. They are my go to cool weather gloves.

Yeah, excellent when it's cold. I think I would like them a whole lot more if they were one size smaller. Must be more protective than my Alpinestars Scheme gloves. Really nice in hot weather.

71WD8ITGcdL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah, excellent when it's cold. I think I would like them a whole lot more if they were one size smaller. Must be more protective than my Alpinestars Scheme gloves. Really nice in hot weather.

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F71WD8ITGcdL._SY355_.jpg&key=b92091004a776dbbc7a21347248034f113b4e381f536348537d0c82ee7f23fa8

I run the J.R. phoenix 4.0 glove when it warms up. On my 2nd pair of them in 5 years.

af89292c9afbe4184b88c8da7a41a7fd.jpg

not to derail but I do have to  throw in my obligatory plug...  Sign up for the STT forum... there is an amazing  wealth of knowledge on there with great forum stickies  with FAQ and so on...
plus! STT does Raffles for Free track days for those people whom have NEVER done a track day before!

• Upvote 1

Based on the Alpinestars chart and some rough self measurements, I'd need a Euro size 48 / US size 38 / S-M. Sounds about right.

I wish this were more like going on a go-cart track. ^_^ Which I've never done either. Bumper cars, yes.

Let me know when you are going I will try to go the same day and you can pit with me if you want. Also I have an Alpinestars 1 piece you could use but it's seen better days, need to make sure it would pass tech. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Let me know when you are going I will try to go the same day and you can pit with me if you want. Also I have an Alpinestars 1 piece you could use but it's seen better days, need to make sure it would pass tech. 

Wow, thanks. I'd have to do the standard sign-up and hope it doesn't rain, I guess. (With things going on I'd be lucky to get out there this year! Not giving up yet tho.) Are you far from Columbus?

Does it take long to get used to wearing a race suit? I was just looking at some on ebay, just to see what pricing is like.

4 minutes ago, hiro said:

Are suits like this any good? Are the knee sliders in the right place?

$200 ebay suit

another suit

Probably not the greatest fit or quality, but it would technically pass tech inspection.   I would seriously consider trying on suits before you commit to ordering a cheap alternative.  Better fit = better protection

Edited by Hellmutt

How about Icon Hypersport jacket and pants? It has a 3/4 zipper.

The reason that came up was because I was thinking I could use some riding pants for the street. Then I thought, later add the Hypersport jacket since I have a textile jacket to use right now. Before that I was looking at riding jeans. This year I might not be able to throw down hundreds of USD's at once just to get on the track for stuff I would only use on the track.

The Hypersport pants lack knee pucks, which I probably wouldn't need at least for a while, but they also don't seem to have hip pads/armour which I did want. One small low-side on the street showed me where I need that pad! At least being leather they would be more abrasion resistant. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-hypersport-pants