Step 0: Spectating

hiro

I have Icon padded shorts to wear under whatever pants I ride in, which is nice since they'd likely stay planted underneath no matter if the suit/pants moved around some in a crash.  

A 2 piece suit seems like it may be more versatile since you can wear the jacket with other types of pant, and vice versa.  Pricewise, I'm not sure how they compare to 1 piece suits as I've never sought out a 2 piece - but seems for an occasional trackday guy, the 2 piece would give you more options for your money.  The hypersport pants look plenty good enough for some novice tracktime, and I wouldn't worry about kneedragging too much your first day....that will come in time as you get better with body position and corner speed.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Ah, that looks good. It might be nice if they made a "capri" length that included knee protection. ^_^

6 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

OK, there's that! Oh, that's armour without an abrasion resistant layer? I heard that mesh like that tends to come apart from normal use. Would Lycra be hot in the summer? (Might have been nice to have an extra layer below 50*F.)

Just now, hiro said:

OK, there's that! Oh, that's armour without an abrasion resistant layer? I heard that mesh like that tends to come apart from normal use. Would Lycra be hot in the summer? (Might have been nice to have an extra layer below 50*F.)

There's an old addage that riders/racers use...."I'd rather sweat than bleed".  The protective gear wont be the most comfortable stuff, but you dress for the crash...not the ride

• Upvote 3

If you wish, you can come in and sit in on a Novice classroom session or several and see what we discuss and do.  Basically, you can interact as much as you desire and get comfortable in order to take that first step.  Ask any of us for help with questions and we will be glad to help you out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hiro said:

OK, so I ordered AGV Sport Willow perfected leather pants. From what I've read, they should 360 zip to the AGV Sport Dragon jacket. Odd that the Willow jacket only has a short zipper.

agv_sport_dragon_leather_jacket_zoom.jpg

Not to discourage you, but you might boil over in that jacket during the summer months.  I'd say you'd be more comfortable in a perforated leather jacket, but again....I dont want to discourage you from wearing protective gear, just know there are options that are more comfortable.

The 300 Will be fine. The bike can do a lot more than you think. I know people who run 250s in Intermediate class. 

Leather is best and you can wear under armor to help keep you cool. Hydrate well for several days before you go. Leather saved my skin in turn 8. 

I suggest you watch a track day before you do one or go with someone who has done it before.

Edited by snot

21 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Not to discourage you, but you might boil over in that jacket during the summer months.  I'd say you'd be more comfortable in a perforated leather jacket, but again....I dont want to discourage you from wearing protective gear, just know there are options that are more comfortable.

Yeah, heat is a concern. Problem is, there are only so many jackets that might work with the Willow pants. The jacket has some vents that can be opened, but no perforation. Now I feel hot just looking at the photo! (Probably has more to do with the greenhouse effect in the car today.)

Edited by hiro

Not sure where you're located, but Iron Pony in Westerville is WELL worth the trip to try on several brands and decifer what fits you best.  They have some good deals here and there too.  Trying things on is the only way I've been able to figure out the sizing differences in various brands for my build.  Some jackets I'm a 3X but the arms are always too long, ( apparently wide framed guys are supposed to be over 6'6" ) whereas Scorpion and Speed&Strength jackets in a 2X is perfect for me.

You dont want it loose, form fitting is key so the protective armor and pads dont shift around should you hit the deck, and it's actually more comfortable since it doesn't ball up in the wrong places or roomy seams move around and may split your jibblets.  BUT, you also need to be able to breathe, and have enough freedom to move around the bike in it too.  Trial and error via internet ordering will just prolong your agony in finding proper fitting gear

• Upvote 1

Bah, damn.  There were Icon, Scorpion, Astar, and Cortech sport leather jackets there a couple weeks ago - but I wasn't shopping for pants so I didn't look for any, just assumed they had stock.  All the way at the back before you get to the used bike area were the Zero-60 1 piece suits.  I know they're cheaper than your bigger brands, but not sure what the pricetags are on 'em

the pants always look like you have a diaper on.. they are built so that when in the full tuck it tightens up.. your really no supposed to be able to walk  straight up and down in a quality suit depending on the build..

talking to my buddy he wore his for 5 track days before  loving Track so much he wanted to dive head first and  buy a better suit.. said it did him well.. was a bit stiff  and took a while to loosen up  but  did fine for his pace

I'm glad I actually read my mail. Got a letter from Rider insurance. Effective Oct 1, 2014, "coverage will no longer be provided for track days." Time for me to see if there's a penalty for early cancellation. Paid in full less than 2 weeks ago.

Tried on the Zero-60 suits today. I didn't know the black ones were damaged--broken zippers. (Bad sign?) The one-piece 44/54 was way too big. The yellow two-piece, size 42/52, basically fit. Length was good. Arms and legs were good, except there was some excess material in the thighs, shoulder blade area, and under the hump. The armour seemed to stay in place well enough. One thing that bothered me was feeling like the collar was choking me, even while crouched. The more I leaned forward the better though. Is that normal? Also, I felt why people prefer one-piece suits; that feeling around the waist in the front.  Not sure I should get one or not. Doesn't come with knee sliders and the padding seems minimal, but I imagine the abrasion resistance is pretty good.