Howdy Gang!

Giff74

Good afternoon all!

I can't tell you all how excited I am to find an Ohio based forum. Since I got back into riding it seems everyone and all the info is West Coast based. Nothing wrong with West Coast, they just don't have the weather issues we do, the lack of road racing facilities and I really feel like we have more drivers paying no attention to us because there are fewer bikes on the road in the Midwest in general. 

So, a little about me. I'm in my 40's and bought a Yamaha R3 last winter. I've been commuting on it since February in all but the worst weather. I also enjoy a spirited back road ride and I'm itching to get onto a race track. I road quite a bit in my late teens and early twenties, then I went almost twenty years without owning a bike. I bought and sold a couple DR650's over the last couple years. They just weren't that much fun on the road and the off road adventures I'd imagined never really materialized. I'm married with three kids and, like most of us, a very full time job to keep me busy when I'm not playing motorcycle racer. My wife has assured that week long excursions on a dual sport bike are at least ten more years away. LOL!

My goal is that by the end of summer, I've lost a few pounds, bought some leathers without my wife knowing and made it to a track day (for newbs/novices/c class) at Mid-Ohio. If anyone is aware of any road racing tracks closer to Cincinnati than Mid-Ohio, VIR or Atlanta please let me know. Same goes for racing clubs in the southwest or central Ohio regions that will take on new, slow, short, fat, bald members. Haha! I have no delusions of grandeur about my road racing career, if this year goes well I'll probably get another R3 and one will for the roads and the other one kitted out for the track. 

I've been out of the game for a long time. If any of you bigger guys could recommend brands for racing suits that would be great. I'm 5' 9" and currently about 265. However, I'm in the process of losing weight and should be below 250 in a couple more months. When I look at Revzilla and the other gear sites, everything looks European and not exactly sized for my frame. I'm open to pretty much any brand, just got keep it under $1000.

Thanks for any help ahead of time. Maybe I'll be able to meet some of y'all in person since this is kind of a "local" group.

Giff

Welcome to the forum.  R3's look like fun little rides.  Closest track to Cinci area, and VERY beginner friendly, would probably be Putnam Park in Greencastle Indiana.  Did my first trackday there years ago and had an awesome time.  Fun, flowing, and fast track, but not as technical as MidOhio.

http://putnampark.com

SportbikeTrackTime ( STT ) hosts days there coming up mid July and mid August.  MotoSeries may still do days there as well?  

https://www.sportbiketracktime.com/index.php?route=information/schedule

Welcome to the area.  Certainly NOT California....but then, we're not gonna fall into the sea within the next decade or so.  ;o)  There's lots of great riding south of the river in NKY, and obviously southeastern OH.  I'd be happy to put together a route of 100-200 miles and show you around some of the local twisties.  I've been riding for over 50 years, which of course makes me old...but not necessarily wise.  I'm in far southwest corner of Hamilton Cty and can be across the river in 20 minutes, so if you see a day that looks good for some two-wheel playtime, lemeno.  Also, if you haven't found the few local MC websites yet check out AssfaultJunkies.com and LocalRiders.com for other folks to hook up with.  AFJ is prolly more of what you're looking for, as many of the members are 20s-40s and racers; LR forum isn't as large, but there is a pretty dedicated core of riders, most of whom are older and very skilled (not talking Goldwing riders here!).  Neither of the forums are quite as active as OR, but just another resource for finding like-minded riders.  My username on those forums is Icantdrive55.  If you do FB, check out Cincinnati Cafe Racers.  Closed group but easy to join.  Some places to meet in the Cinti area:  best option is Fuel Coffee 8-12 Saturday mornings, mix of cars and bikes; The Comet in Northside every Tuesday after work, an eclectic mix of old guys/hipsters/scooter trash with quirky barmaids, abysmal service, and burritos bigger than your head; Quaker Steak & Lube Bike nights, Thursdays at Colerain and Florence, Wednesdays at Milford, mostly a "loud-pipes-save-lives" crowd with pirates, cuts, doo-rags, chrome and tassels.

Tuesdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Weekly: Comet Bike Night (Northside) 6pm-??
2) Every other week (ish): North East Bike Night @ MJs on Main (old town Milford) 5:30pm-7:30pm Watch for events posted by hosts.

Wednesdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) The Root Beer Stand (Sharonville) 5:30-7:30pm Matthew & Curtgenerally help organize this.

Thursdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Last Thursday of the month: Cincinnati Euro Bike Night across from MJs on Main (Milford) 6-8pm
2) Knock Back in the Nati (Downtown) 6-8:30pm Knockback Nat's Neighborhood Bar = ask about CCR drink specials from CCR bartender Ben Groh.

Saturdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Cars (Bikes) and Coffee at Fuel Coffee Cincinnati 8:00AM - Noon 
2) Second Saturday of the month: Open ride leaving from Fuel Coffee Cincinnati @ 11am

10 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

Welcome to the forum.  R3's look like fun little rides.  Closest track to Cinci area, and VERY beginner friendly, would probably be Putnam Park in Greencastle Indiana.  Did my first trackday there years ago and had an awesome time.  Fun, flowing, and fast track, but not as technical as MidOhio.

http://putnampark.com

SportbikeTrackTime ( STT ) hosts days there coming up mid July and mid August.  MotoSeries may still do days there as well?  

https://www.sportbiketracktime.com/index.php?route=information/schedule

Thanks so much for the heads up about Putnam and STT!

35 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Welcome to the area.  Certainly NOT California....but then, we're not gonna fall into the sea within the next decade or so.  ;o)  There's lots of great riding south of the river in NKY, and obviously southeastern OH.  I'd be happy to put together a route of 100-200 miles and show you around some of the local twisties.  I've been riding for over 50 years, which of course makes me old...but not necessarily wise.  I'm in far southwest corner of Hamilton Cty and can be across the river in 20 minutes, so if you see a day that looks good for some two-wheel playtime, lemeno.  Also, if you haven't found the few local MC websites yet check out AssfaultJunkies.com and LocalRiders.com for other folks to hook up with.  AFJ is prolly more of what you're looking for, as many of the members are 20s-40s and racers; LR forum isn't as large, but there is a pretty dedicated core of riders, most of whom are older and very skilled (not talking Goldwing riders here!).  Neither of the forums are quite as active as OR, but just another resource for finding like-minded riders.  My username on those forums is Icantdrive55.  If you do FB, check out Cincinnati Cafe Racers.  Closed group but easy to join.  Some places to meet in the Cinti area:  best option is Fuel Coffee 8-12 Saturday mornings, mix of cars and bikes; The Comet in Northside every Tuesday after work, an eclectic mix of old guys/hipsters/scooter trash with quirky barmaids, abysmal service, and burritos bigger than your head; Quaker Steak & Lube Bike nights, Thursdays at Colerain and Florence, Wednesdays at Milford, mostly a "loud-pipes-save-lives" crowd with pirates, cuts, doo-rags, chrome and tassels.

Tuesdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Weekly: Comet Bike Night (Northside) 6pm-??
2) Every other week (ish): North East Bike Night @ MJs on Main (old town Milford) 5:30pm-7:30pm Watch for events posted by hosts.

Wednesdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) The Root Beer Stand (Sharonville) 5:30-7:30pm Matthew & Curtgenerally help organize this.

Thursdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Last Thursday of the month: Cincinnati Euro Bike Night across from MJs on Main (Milford) 6-8pm
2) Knock Back in the Nati (Downtown) 6-8:30pm Knockback Nat's Neighborhood Bar = ask about CCR drink specials from CCR bartender Ben Groh.

Saturdays - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
1) Cars (Bikes) and Coffee at Fuel Coffee Cincinnati 8:00AM - Noon 
2) Second Saturday of the month: Open ride leaving from Fuel Coffee Cincinnati @ 11am

Wow, I really appreciate all that feedback! Maybe we can get together sometime. I just moved back to the Cincinnati area and I don't know where anything is. Do you have a mechanic you like/trust? I do most of my own wrenching, but I've got new tires coming and hate getting gouged to have them mounted and balanced.

Thanks again!

Jason:  Not sure where you're located, but I'd try the AFJ Race Shop on Eastern Ave. http://www.afjraceshop.com/services/ 

Obviously, if you have the skills to remove your wheels, the tire swap is gonna be cheaper.  Last time I saw rates, I think it was $25/wheel off the bike, but I haven't done a set in the shop in a while.  I've got an old Coates 220 changer and a static balance stand in my garage if you want to do your own.  Rim scratching service at no extra cost!  LOL

FYI, this Tues night is the CCR Milford bike night across from MJ's on Main.  I've never been to this so no idea what the crowd is like.

Edited by Bubba