Hiii!

Renthalkx

Hey everyone! New to the forum. Came over from 1000rr net. I wasn't really sure to post this as I didnt see a "General" forum or anything technical. Anyways I have a 2007 CBR1000RR with 23.5k miles on it. It has the entire flapper assembly removed and is straight piped (I thought it was cool when I first did it, but now it hurts my ears to ride it lol). It was running fine when I first straight piped it  (minus some low/mid range power loss), but then I tore the bike down and, when putting it back together, bent one of the prongs in a primary injector that the harmess plugs into and lost an injector seal. I just got the new injector and seal in last night. The bike is idling very weird. It'll idle at about 1k +-100 and then jump up to almost 2k and stay there. It does this both hot and cold. I figured there was a vacuum leak caused by the seal not being on the injector, but it's still doing it after replacing the seal.

Here's a video of it: 

There is also a very slight misfire I can hear after idling for a bit. 

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the OR!  A lot of good people here who can give you some suggestions.  You may want to post in the Tech & Tips thread to get some more looks on your issue.

• Upvote 1

I think that's the issue. When I restrict the airflow of the pipe with my hand it brings my idle back down and it quits misfiring for the most part. Im saving up for a Yoshi RS5 slipon + header so hopefully that fixes the issue. I'm probably gonna have to buy a power commander and get it dynotuned sometime eventually. 

5 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Probably not if he's going from a straight unrestricted pipe to one with at least some restriction. The bike is running too lean.

Yosh pipes offer like zero restriction. It's a straight through design. Aftermarket headers will flow better than stock, or they at least better considering the price. End result: even leaner. 

• Upvote 1

So we've narrowed it down to my bike running too lean. What exactly causes the fluctuations in idle tho? Upon start up it's right around 1kish and then in a few seconds jumps up to almost 2k and stays there. Is that just what happens with not enough backpressure? 

Hunting for idle is a classic symptom of lean condition. Not sure exactly how your bike is set up, but if it uses a closed loop system with an o2 sensor it's probably sensing that your exhaust is crazy lean and dumping lots of fuel (or at least as much as it can trim, usually 20%) into the bike which helps but doesn't help enough to read stoichiometric at the o2 sensor. I'm no efi wizard tho, more of a carburetor guy. 

Problem is, a guy with more engineering degrees on his wall than you designed the exhaust for that bike, but you decided you knew better than him. 

Put a good stock exhaust on it and all will be right, or spend a few grand on a full system and a fuel controller and a day of dyno tuning and enjoy the gains.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the forum.  If you do buy a full system and PC, some exhaust companies offer free map downloads to get your bike's tune on target.  But obviously, nothing beats a custom dyno tune for perfection.   Good luck