Shit, that didn't take long.

Gixxus Christ!

So I broke down and got a tag for the kz750 I've been trying to sell on cl with hopes of riding it to bike nights and selling it that way. Took it on a brap Saturday morning and it kept idling funny and sounded like it had an exhaust leak. Get it home and rev it a few times in the garage and it starts shooting smoke and flames out the side of the motor.

Head gasket is toast. 16k miles. Wtf?

Good news is it's a $35 part, job can be done with motor in frame and it should take me all of a few hours after work one day....just really didn't want to be dicking around with this bike anymore. 

Once in the past, I ran into head gaskets that had a hard copper around the cylinders, that would not squish and seal. Look to see if that's the failure. Same deal, stuff (and oil) coming out of the sides of the gasket. Another of the same brand and source would probably do the same. In other words, It was an aftermarket head gasket from dealer. They were low on head gaskets, and were keeping the factory good ones for themselves. And knowingly selling crappy ones.

2 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm gonna guess that this is an OEM head gasket. I'd like to find an MLS one but they don't exist. OEM has copper fire ring like any other factory head gasket from that era. 

Check with Cometic in Cleveland, they can make it how ever you want.