Circleville Cruises (Take Back the Strip)

Otis Nice

Yeah. It's just...lol.

TL;DW:

Cruise event set up on FB happens during Covid. ~1k show up.

Set up again for a month later. ~2k-3k show up, raise over $2k and 100 boxes of food for local pantries. Mayor is not happy.

Following month TBD. I may just stay home, as someone who lives close enough to "the strip" to witness it kinda from "home" and see what happens. Lot's of folks are lashing out. Mayor made a LOT of claims that seem...a stretch. Folks are saying things like, "I never voted fer a mayer befer but I will nao!"

Yeah, Clay. Lot's to unravel. As someone who was there for a couple hours...ish I didn't witness any atrocities. I also don't live directly on "the strip" but MOST of the ones that do I saw on their front porches/lawns with cell phones recording and beers in hand.

Matt, yes. Sardine oil and all.

Shaun, folks are not happy.

lolry....yeah. lol

TLDL: Mayor had some people complain. Thinks that people standing outside their cars in family groups and driving somehow broke social distancing. Promises he will "not allow" any more events until social distancing is lifted. (He seems to think he has some control over the situation)

I grew up in Circleville, cruising went on like this my whole life until $4/gallon gas hit. They tried to stop it the whole time and never could. All his excuses become really lame when you look at Pumpkin Show causing even worse traffic and access for emergency services for a week straight and not just a couple hours. I love that he thinks this one dude is in charge of the "group".

TLDL: Mayor had some people complain. Thinks that people standing outside their cars in family groups and driving somehow broke social distancing. Promises he will "not allow" any more events until social distancing is lifted. (He seems to think he has some control over the situation)

I grew up in Circleville, cruising went on like this my whole life until $4/gallon gas hit. They tried to stop it the whole time and never could. All his excuses become really lame when you look at Pumpkin Show causing even worse traffic and access for emergency services for a week straight and not just a couple hours. I love that he thinks this one dude is in charge of the "group".

All of this. As someone who still lives in the midst of it, all of this.

Folks are calling for it to happen every week (so it may be "back" like it use to be to a lesser degree) and an even larger showing the first sat of next month.

...let's see how this plays out.

Oh and the mayor also neglected to mention that there was a motorcycle ride with over 10k bikes that was not in the city limits but just a couple miles down the road and that went into the city at one point.

Oh and the mayor also neglected to mention that there was a motorcycle ride with over 10k bikes that was not in the city limits but just a couple miles down the road and that went into the city at one point.

Bingo.

Literally the only complaints I saw/heard were about bikers. Shrug.jif.

Next month (and even next saturday) should be interesting.

Those will be a big hit next month. ;)

The other fun thing in the video is how he goes on for a long time that some of the people that were cruising were not from Circleville, they were scary Columbus villains.

Damnit, wish I could see it. Facebook has made some changes lately that even public pages require a membership.

I haven't seen any real examples of issues with the cruise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The organizer met with the mayor.

T-shirts are gonna be available with proceeds helping the Circle Area Humane Society.

I gotta say, I'm glad to see him/them/the majority showing how positive this is and the attention it's getting. More so I love seeing families out and kids getting into rides of all sorts. Reminds me of how it was 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The first Circleville "take back the strip" cruise of 2021 was tonight. Pretty decent turnout. Pics here of just some of the things out and about. Looking forward to many more.

These happen the first sat of every month and run from about 5:00-5:30-8:30 or so. It's kind of open like CC&C as far as times go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

First cruise of the season was tonight. My car wasn't ready but there were a wide variety of vehicles out given the weather. 

Don't worry, biker boyz. When it's warmer there are more bicyclists if y'all ever want to cruise. It's slow moving through a small town packed with traffic though. 

I went down during the great freak out of 2020 (10 min from the house) and cruised one lap in my old taco.  It was packed. Riding the clutch sucked so we went home. Was great to see.  
went to bdubs last night and it was going on so we snuck down pickaway street.  Looked like a good turnout, but seemed like they had it all routed to the south end of town, which would really suck if you were trying to get to the service plex.  (Walmart, fast food, gas, etc)

2 hours ago, max power said:

I went down during the great freak out of 2020 (10 min from the house) and cruised one lap in my old taco.  It was packed. Riding the clutch sucked so we went home. Was great to see.  
went to bdubs last night and it was going on so we snuck down pickaway street.  Looked like a good turnout, but seemed like they had it all routed to the south end of town, which would really suck if you were trying to get to the service plex.  (Walmart, fast food, gas, etc)

In 2020 I had a 1982 F100 with a clutch that made you do a crunch basically. Yeah, it was rough. Last night I was in the auto work truck and ran to grab something quick for dinner for the kids since my wife wasn't feeling well. Wasn't nearly as packed. Decent turn out but not like those first few in 2020. Made it up and down Court with no issue.

Better quality pics.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...