Thoughts on FZ1 generation 1

Connie14

On 9/28/2016 at 10:50 PM, oldschoolsdime92 said:

My Gen 1 was great. Ivans jet kit, and a slip on. Mine made 136 rwhp.  It did everything, from touring, to track days, to commuting. One thing to be aware of is the second gear issue. Mine lost second gear. On your test ride, if you can, make sure to take it to red line. Mine started jump out of gear around 8-9000rpms. Ended up being cheaper to replace the entire engine, than just the gears. My fz1 also had an ohlins piston kit done by traxxion dynamics and a penske rear shock. Had a magura front master cylinder and braided lines. Best brakes i've ever used. It was a rock solid, super dependable motorcycle. The only reason I got rid of it, was shear boredom. 

Thanks for the advice!  I am looking at a 02 in the morning.  I will make sure that 2nd gear is taken to red line.  Was it all the 02s or just a few? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Connie14 said:

Thanks for the advice!  I am looking at a 02 in the morning.  I will make sure that 2nd gear is taken to red line.  Was it all the 02s or just a few? 

All, but it really is only a problem if abused.  There are many 100k+ mile 01 and 02 bikes on the FZ1 form.  Make sure it can handle the load up to redline and shits normally from 1-2 and 3-4.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, whaler said:

All, but it really is only a problem if abused.  There are many 100k+ mile 01 and 02 bikes on the FZ1 form.  Make sure it can handle the load up to redline and shits normally from 1-2 and 3-4.

This here. My fz1 had a lot of track time under its belt.